angel fish with swimbladder disorder

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mtcwell

Reaction score
I have an angel fish that survived a severe case of ick and secondary fungus infection that now has some form of swim bladder disorder. He lays at the top of the water and is unable to swim upright for more than a few seconds at a time. He has been like this for a week. I am currently treating him with Melafix for lack of any other ideas. His abdomen is swollen and he seems to be in constant distress due to his inability to swim properly. Please advise.

Usually a bloated fish is caused by kidney failure and they cannot release the water being absorbed normally. This condition in angels is almost always fatal but ihave seen cases where if treated early by a bacterial med like kanacyn they have survived. The fish should be isolated if possible. HTH :)

Thanks for the reply. It has been this way for at least a week and doesn't seem to be weakening, but also, it doesn't seem to be improving. And the swelling appears to be in the area of the swim bladder and is taking on a yellow tint (just slightly, and only where the swelling is). I really hate to see the little fellow suffer. I will try to get some of the medication you recommended, but it will take a couple of days to obtain some.

Most reactions

Back