Angel Fish Laid Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Greyhamc

Reaction score
Hello there.
4 weeks ago in my normal big tank my angel fish laid eggs on the filter. The parents were very protective and they survived a whole day. They were fertilised and all. I'm very new to this so i hope you understand what i'm saying. When the light went off the other fish in the tank had eaten all the eggs. I spoke to my local fish shop and he suggested getting another tank for just the angel fish.
I did this and set it up and everything. 3 weeks later (today) the angel fish have laid eggs on the filter again. They are looking after the eggs and the eggs seem to be fertilised except one (has turned white)
The parents do seem to be fighting a little bit this time, the tale on one fish seems to be bitten a little bit, i understand this may be normal?

I have been reading up on the internet about looking after the eggs. It says that you shouldn't have any gravel in there, and you should have an sponge filter. Well i haven't, i've got gravel on the bottom and a normal tropical filter in the tank, Please help? what should i do? will they survive ? 

Classical breeding tanks have bare bottoms, as it's far easier to clear up excess food. The sponge filters provide a biofilter without challenging the fry with too much flow.

Some angels are very good parents, some are terrible. Sounds good so far, but may take a few batches to get them used to getting it right.

As DrRob said it can take a few batches to ensure the parents know what to do. Two of my angels continuously lay eggs in all manor of areas within my community tank, but the eggs don't make it much past 48 hours old - the parents just aren't sure what to do with them.

I'm currently in the process of moving them over to their own breeding tank which is setup as DrRob said, no gravel, just them in it with a small sponge filter.

Good luck with your eggs!
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back