Ancistrus ID please!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

William

TFF Founder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I've taken a few pictures in the hope of someone being able to ID the plecs I have, they were both sold as bristlenose however with the female still heavily egg laden after 3 weeks I am beginning to think that they may be different species, I bought them at different places and not from the same tank. Here are the pictures, apologies for bad quality but they love to hide under the filter where I can't get any pictures of them (too dark!!) :angry:
Below is the female:

Attachments

• famle.jpg
    famle.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 70
male bottom female upside down on top

Attachments

• plec.jpg
    plec.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 76

Attachments

• ploc.jpg
    ploc.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 74
:) male again :)

Attachments

• Untitled_4.jpg
    Untitled_4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 72
The male in the open, this picture was taken soon after I switched the lights on and you can see his colour partially faded it always goes back to pure colour soon after turning on the lights not sure why this happens... any ideas?

Attachments

• Untitled_6.jpg
    Untitled_6.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 86
female

Attachments

• Untitled_8.jpg
    Untitled_8.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 62
Female again - she's just under 2inches long and the male is just over 2 and a half inches

Attachments

• Untitled_9.jpg
    Untitled_9.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 77
does it look like this! the coloration is two fold one is stress related.

Attachments

• ancis_21.jpg
    ancis_21.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 75
Cant be 100% sure but i think you may be right in them being 2 different species the female looks like the normal common bristlenose (Ansistrus dolichopterus) and the male looks more like what i have seen called Bushy mouthed plecs no latin name im afraid i was unable to find them in my books,its the veiw from above that makes me think this,the male bristlenoses ive had havn't had a nose that round plus the bristles tend to be more on the top rather than around the side

cryosi said:
does it look like this! the coloration is two fold one is stress related.
That is the female for sure cryosi, the male looks different, what CFC says would back up what I was thinking about him being different.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back