Ammonia won't leave (8 gal cube planted)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

momsspaghett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. I currently transitioned to a new filter; the Azoo 150. I put some bio max filter media in it, a few almond leaves along with the sponge that comes with the filter and its been running pretty well. My tank looks very clean since I did about a 50-60% water change before putting in mystery snail and two dwarf frogs. The tank is very planted and I may be planning on adding even more plants if I find some around town. I try to pick out all the dead or dying leaves but I always see a few stragglers. Last time I checked my measurements, everything was 0 besides my ammonia which was in the middle of 0-.25; this was about 2-3 days ago. Today I checked and the measurements were more green (looks a bit more yellow in the light), more on the .25 side. My nitrate is also starting to get a little more orange which means it looks like it is starting to go into Nitrification. I am debating if I want to wait till it converts to the nitrate a little bit more, leave the tank be, or to do a 15-20% water change right now. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_104556.jpg
    IMG_20201005_104556.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 169
Ammonia spike is normal when adding stock and also with a new filter have you added any live bacteria to the tank to help settle the filter or added old filter sponge to one of the trays

Ammonia spike is normal when adding stock and also with a new filter have you added any live bacteria to the tank to help settle the filter or added old filter sponge to one of the trays
I just left everything be in the tank, didn't use any of the old filters, I just threw it out. I left the aquarium go a bit wild without a filter (this was with no animal in it) for a few days and algae started to appear. I didn't test the water at the time I also saw a lot of bacteria swimming around and sticking on the tank glass for a day or two but now everything has cleared up and looks very clean. I've seen a few little "bugs" swimming around today, looked like copepod.

Attachments

• plant bulbs.jpg
    plant bulbs.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Copepod-Copepoda-02-600x321.jpg
    Copepod-Copepoda-02-600x321.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 162
I just left everything be in the tank, didn't use any of the old filters, I just threw it out. I left the aquarium go a bit wild without a filter (this was with no animal in it) for a few days and algae started to appear. I didn't test the water at the time I also saw a lot of bacteria swimming around and sticking on the tank glass for a day or two but now everything has cleared up and looks very clean. I've seen a few little "bugs" swimming around today, looked like copepod.
When you have removed all the old filter it will have removed the bacteria with it. Almost restarting the cycle in the filter I wouldn't perform a water change unless your nitrate becomes higher but I'd add live bacteria to increase the speed of which the ammonia is lowerd. And they are great food for fish so I wouldn't worry

When you have removed all the old filter it will have removed the bacteria with it. Almost restarting the cycle in the filter I wouldn't perform a water change unless your nitrate becomes higher but I'd add live bacteria to increase the speed of which the ammonia is lowerd. And they are great food for fish so I wouldn't worry
Where and what type of bacteria would you get?

Where and what type of bacteria would you get?
I've always used tetra filter active but I mean they should all be similar it is just live bacteria most pet stores should do some or amazon

I’m sorry, but there is no way one should be able to see swimming bacteria with the naked eye at all.

If you can see something then it’s certainly not going to be bacteria, more likely detritus worms, copepods or something like that, normally harmless but best to find out exactly what you have.

Perhaps if you can post a picture of your ‘bacteria’ in the tank this may help in identifying this.

I would recommend getting Dr Tim’s One and Only Nitrfying bacteria or Tetra Safe Start, you should be able to purchase either one online and add this to the tank.

This should help jump your cycling process forwards a bit more.

Just to clarify, was the tank already cycled before you changed the filter?

And you mentioned almond leaves, not sure if you mean you added this to the tank or to the filter?
Almond leaves should be inside the tank NOT in the filter itself.

I’m sorry, but there is no way one should be able to see swimming bacteria with the naked eye at all.

If you can see something then it’s certainly not going to be bacteria, more likely detritus worms, copepods or something like that, normally harmless but best to find out exactly what you have.

Perhaps if you can post a picture of your ‘bacteria’ in the tank this may help in identifying this.

I would recommend getting Dr Tim’s One and Only Nitrfying bacteria or Tetra Safe Start, you should be able to purchase either one online and add this to the tank.

This should help jump your cycling process forwards a bit more.

Just to clarify, was the tank already cycled before you changed the filter?

And you mentioned almond leaves, not sure if you mean you added this to the tank or to the filter?
Almond leaves should be inside the tank NOT in the filter itself.
Yes i stated previously with the other person that they are copepods i saw swimming around.
ok on those almond leaves, i have a system but thanks for letting me know that :) I think i would know if its getting clogged. problems all solved. thanks for the recommendations.

May I ask how you solved this issue for future reference

I just did my own thing. I listened to your suggestion but figured it out. Ammonia is gone. thanks.

Well, I’m glad you were able to figure things and sorted this out.

If you ever need advice or get stuck at all, we’re happy to help.

Don’t take things in the wrong way when we ask or question things about how you or anyone else for that matter on one normally does things, it’s how we are able to build a picture in our minds of what’s going on with your tank and filter etc so we can give more suitable advice that will actually help you.

Hopefully your ammonia issue is now resolved and you should be able to test your parameters and if ammonia and nitrite goes from x amount ppm to zero within 24 hours, you’re good to go.

Hope we have been of some assistance in helping you resolve this.

Make sure that you don't overfeed them since your filter is still new and make not have enough beneficial bacteria.

You will need larger water change if you cannot bring down the ammonia level.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back