Ammonia spike

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Andyw88

Reaction score
Hi all,recently came across a new tank 180l. I've had a 60l setup for 2 years with no problems so I put the sponge filter into the new 180l with all the fish and seeded the new sponge filters for 4 weeks. Decided to setup my 60l with the original filter(was always kept wet and wasn't out of the tank for more than a minute). Now today my API master test kit came and I'm getting 0 nitrites in both tanks and between 10-25 nitrates in both and 2.0ppm of ammonia in both tanks(tested tap water and 0ppm) I'm about to do a 80% water change on both tanks until some ammonia neutraliser comes tomorrow. Any suggestions on amount of water changes I should do and any other instructions would be great, currently in the 180l is 4 German rams and a bristlenose pleco and in the 60 is 2 German rams and a Molly. Fish do seem a little stressed but with German rams it's hard to tell if it's the water or just the change in chemistry as I've swapped fish into different tanks etc.sorry about the long post it's therapy as right now Im quite deflated as I thought I'd took proper precautions and this wouldn't happen.thanks

You should look into getting some fast growing floating plants to absorb the ammonia. Plants like anacharis, moneywort, hornwort, water sprite that you can "plant" or let float. Floating or plants like frog bite and salvinia that just float would help. Better to add plants than chemicals to deal with the problem, Plants also improve the quaility of the tanks water.

Yeh will look into next week but because of the covid finding anything in my area that's open is hard work, never ever put any chemicals into my tank other than tap conditioner every action must cause a reaction and all that but ammonia and rams don't go very well so kind of desperate.thanks

I am currently having the same issue with buying plants for my tanks here. Good luck, continue doing water changes to keep the ammonia down.

Rams need warmer water than other fish you have mentiones. I'd recommend Salvinia and other fast growing plants to take up the ammonia and daily water changes too.

Rams need warmer water than other fish you have mentiones. I'd recommend Salvinia and other fast growing plants to take up the ammonia and daily water changes too.
It is so bad here I had ordered more salvinia for my tetra tank but the Lfs could only get one small cup-that is bad when they can not get that. I was told it would be several weeks to wait before more would come in. I had ordered it weeks ago.

It is so bad here I had ordered more salvinia for my tetra tank but the Lfs could only get one small cup-that is bad when they can not get that. I was told it would be several weeks to wait before more would come in. I had ordered it weeks ago.
That's honestly a long time to wait :/ My lfs still has no things, like some medicine, food and vacuums but they sure got new tank :/

That's honestly a long time to wait :/ My lfs still has no things, like some medicine, food and vacuums but they sure got new tank :/
I should have taken pictures of my LFS most of the tanks are back to a few fish, only guppies seem to be doing well, He did get in a plant he called a mermaid plant which I have not seen before. He said it was one of a few plants that were available but he never stocked it before and knew nothing about it. I did not get it.

I should have taken pictures of my LFS most of the tanks are back to a few fish, only guppies seem to be doing well, He did get in a plant he called a mermaid plant which I have not seen before. He said it was one of a few plants that were available but he never stocked it before and knew nothing about it. I did not get it.
My lfs has few fish and plants too, even driftwood. No angelfish in the tank, no dwarf gouramis, couple of mollies in the tank (one was whole white, why I didn't get it??), but they sure got new tank, rams and and golden nugget plecs :rolleyes:

27 degrees Celsius is on the high side for the pleco but it's spent 7 years at 27 degrees, right in the good range for rams. I saved the Molly from a goldfish bowl with no filter so that's a upgrade imo lol

27 degrees Celsius is on the high side for the pleco but it's spent 7 years at 27 degrees, right in the good range for rams. I saved the Molly from a goldfish bowl with no filter so that's a upgrade imo lol
Rams do need higher temperature than this.

I just did a water change on my fish tank, then I tested the water later in the day, the ammonia was at 4.0!! Nitrite was at 0, nitrate was at 0, ph is at 7.6, and temperature is 80 f.
This is also my first fish tank and had it for about 3 months now. How can I get rid of the ammonia????

25 - 29c/78-85F is the recommended temp for rams. 27c/80F is fine

Got to the ammonia down to 0.50 in both tanks going to leave them for 48 hours if it doesn't rise(I won't be feeding) then do another water change. Recently started with the fluval bug bites and purchased the one for smaller fish and most of it is like dust so I'm guessing that could be the source of the ammonia,going to start using larger version and hopefully that does the trick,cheers

You need to keep doing water changes and a good substrate clean to get the ammonia to 0. .50 is still to high

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back