Ammonia Spike?!?

Forestpisces

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
West yorkshire
Ok so my 9.1gal had cycled for a month before adding fish. Ammonia was fine and the filter could proccess it, so i went out 3 days ago on the hunt for fertilizer and sand when i rescued a betta.
I washed the sand and added it to the tank after adding the fertilizer filled it up with treated water and acclimatised my betta and added him. He's been doing great ever since!
Since then i've done daily water changes taking 7litres out each time to clear the water from the sand mist and it is now clear.

Today i added 4 kuhli loaches and within 3hours one was dead :( So i checked my stats and ammonia was between 0.25 and 0.50!!

I've immidiately done a massive water change (14litres) and used stress coat in the water to treat it.

My Betta is acting fine and being his inquisative old self.

The kuhli that died had no marks on it and no discolouration, it was free from fungus and any visible signs of ill health.

Why on earth is my ammonia spiking and could it be the reason i lost the kuhli?

Please help. :-(
 
4 khulis at one time would be large pressure on the bacteria compared to a single betta. Highly doubt you lose the betta they are generally very tough fish and atleast you got one khuli for free :)
 
Would they build that much waste in 3 hours though? I was told they had a very small bio load.

Do you think it's the reason i lost the kuhli?
 
Would they build that much waste in 3 hours though? I was told they had a very small bio load.

Do you think it's the reason i lost the kuhli?

i believe so mate :(

some loaches don't have scales, just skin so the ammonia will literally burn them to death :(
 
I can't beleive how fast it happend. It was my betta Radish that pointed the little guy out, he kept swimming to the front of the tank then down to to kuhli so i went to check.

The poor thing didnt have a mark on it.

I just find it hard to believe that they would make my ammonia spike like that. But i cant think of anything else either :unsure:
 
I can't beleive how fast it happend. It was my betta Radish that pointed the little guy out, he kept swimming to the front of the tank then down to to kuhli so i went to check.

The poor thing didnt have a mark on it.

I just find it hard to believe that they would make my ammonia spike like that. But i cant think of anything else either :unsure:

might just be overfeeding or something decaying etc

just do some good water changes and everything will kick back it! :good:
 
I wouldnt think it would be that (i'm a lethal with a gravel vac)

But i'm sure your right i'm militry with my water changes so hopefully all will be well soon.

My main concern was the cause of death for the kuhli. I dont want any disease in my tank, maybe the little guy was stressed?
 
you will never know, all you can do is guess, but i bet it will make you even more fussy over your water quality and water changes....
 
I'm a little obsessive about it anyway :blush:

I actully quite enjoy tank maintinance, I want my fish happy and healthy thats my main concern.

Poor water quality is the enemy :grr:
 
khulis are low on the bioload. did you exchange your substrate? or cover it all up? there are lots of bacteria on substrate (more than some people will admit to thinking they only reside in the filer) so you might be going thru a small mini cycle. just keep doing water changes and testing until back to normal. as for why the loach died, anyone;s guess...maybe wast too healthy when you got him...or stress brought something on like you said. doubtful that level of amonia would kill him outright..so dont panic...most liekly just a weaker fish...your doing fine, so dont panic.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top