Ammonia problems

nlynton

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum, but I have had fish aquariums for most of my life.

My largest was a 75 gallon custom verticle column tank.

I recently got back into my hobby. I now have a 20 gallon tank with good plant life. two clown loaches, two black sharks, a colombian shark, some various barbs, a bristle nose pleco and two chinese algae eaters.

I have a bio filter, filter. Over the past few months I have had a MAJOR ammonia problem.

First my bio wheel seemed to die off all it's bacteria (became clean). The bacteria seem to be back but I have had a constant high level ammonia problem. I have had maybe three fish die in that time. What I can't understand is that my test says the ammonia levels have been HIGHLY lethal during this time. I tried almost daily water changes for a week, nothing. Adding biozyme, Amquel, and ammo lock. NOTHING seems to work.

I have had good tests before this problem started and have the same test kit since before the problem started.

I can't understand what's happening. According to the ammonia tests, all the fish should be dead, but it doesn't seem to be affecting them much.

Nothing seems to be able to reduce the ammonia problem.

Any suggestions?

two clown loaches, two black sharks, a colombian shark, some various barbs, a bristle nose pleco and two chinese algae eaters

the loaches, sharks and pleco are not suited for your tank. They will get way too big. It is majorly overstocked right now and that could be the cause of your ammonia issues.

Is there a possibility to return them or exchange them for smaller fish?

I agree them fish are to big for that size tank, and this is why you have ammonia problems, as your filter also won't be adequate for these big fish, is their anyway you can take them back to the lfs, as you will only get desease and death in the long run.

No, I have had them in that tank since I got them. It's been over a year.

I have an empty 55 gallon tank, I guess I can move up to my living room.

Major pain, but I guess I have no other choice. I went to my local petsmart, they won't take the fish.

Well, I guess I get to use my 55. :thumbs:

The filter won't go, but I did put a piece of foam in the filter as a substrate. I can transfer that.

While I am at it, can anyone recommend a filter for a 55? I have one of those biobag filter systems (on the 55) and I think it sucks.

I have an AquaClear 70 (40-70 gallons) on my 55. I got it from Petsmart. Not sure what you mean exactly by biobag, but the AquaClear has a foam filter, activated carbon bag, and a bag-o-white-stuff (that's the technical term for it :lol: ) that grows my biological bacteria. It's a great filter and I have no problems with it.

Get an aquaclear-500 (Now the ac-110). The size of the ac-500 will allow you to add a large amount of filter media such as ceramic cylinders (now included with filter). or lava rock for bacteria to grow and thrive. This media never needs replacement just a rinse in tank water. I also put bio chem stars made by aquarium pharm inc. in the intake portion of filter for the same purpose. These are great filters, I make and use my own media bags, saving tons of money not having to buy those exspensive cartridges required by those other filters. The foam can be rinsed and reused for long periods of time.

Anything you can put in a canister filter, will go in an aquaclear. The aquaclear costs a fraction of the price and works rather well, and easy to do maint.

I use two ac-500's on a 100 gallon, they do wonders. No need for anymore. Tank is also under quite a large bio load (overstocked a little) and the ac-500's handle it perfectly.

My 55 gallon also has an ac-500 . I also use an ac-200 on my 55 thats filled with ceramic cylinders for bio filtration.

Once you have bacteria thriving in these cylinders or lava rock you'll never have ammonia again unless something extreme is going on (severe overcrowding).

Try some zeolite for a temp fix (old tank) until you get new set up going. put some old filter media from existing tank in any new filtration system for sure, this will help that bacteria cycle.

Most reactions

Back