Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ammonia not dropping and still no nitrites

Discussion in 'Cycle your Tank' started by Hilary13, Sep 13, 2019 at 11:39 AM.

1. Hilary13

Hilary13 New Member

Hi All,

I have a 10 gallon tank and unfortunately believed the PetSmart employs that using quick start was enough before adding fish. So I'm trying to get fish tank cycle going in 10 gallon with 2 danios and a red tail shark. Yes, I am also now aware that this fish is too big for such a small tank. Again, this was bad advice given to me at the pet store.

I've since gotten the API test master kit and using Seachem Prime daily. I'm testing for ammonia and nitrites. It's been almost three weeks and my ammonia stays at 1.0ppm and no nitrites what so ever. I am dosing 2ml seachem prime daily. I've tested my tap water, but it didn't show any ammonia. Any ideas on why things are moving along? Is there anything else I can do? The guidance I had read when using Prime was to do a 50 % water change if/when ammonia reaches 2.0 ppm which it never has. Is it worth doing even a 25% water change now to help things along or will I just be starting the process over again?

The water is cloudy. The shark has also started flashing/rubbing its body on aquarium decor. Should I test for PH too? Thanks for your help with this bad situation. I'm trying to get it back on track!

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Cloudy green water is caused by algae and can be controlled with daily water changes and reducing the light, or adding more live plants to use the excess light.

Milky cloudy water is caused by uneaten food rotting in the substrate, which causes bacteria to bloom. Reduce the feeding and doing big daily water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate will fix the problem.

------------------------
    Filters take around 4-6 weeks to develop. If the tank has been running for about 3 weeks, the ammonia should drop soon and the nitrites will start to go up.

Do not clean the filter for the first 6-8 weeks otherwise you can wash out the bacteria and cause the cycle to start again. If you tell us what sort of filter you have, we can advise on how to clean it after the tank has cycled.

If you're doing a fish in cycle, feed the fish 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

You should also do a 75% water change any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.

------------------------
    Any chance of a picture and short 30 second video of the fish rubbing on objects?
    If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

3. Bettapuppy

Bettapuppy New Member
    Pet of the Month Winner!

Quick start actually can help. I used it after doing several rounds of medicine in my tank and it worked. If it’s stored improperly though the bacteria can die. That can happen during shipping.