Ammonia & Nitrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Here is a link to a website with a good read to help you better understand GH & KH and the importance this has for aquarium water and the health of fish. Aquarium Water Quality: Total Alkalinity and Hardness

Carbonate hardness (KH or CH) refers to the ability of the water to maintain a stable environment and subsequently, the health of fish. The carbonate hardness is the 'buffering' ability of the water.

General hardness (GH) refers to the 'hardness' of the water caused by calcium and magnesium ions. Different aquatic species prefer different environments, some prefer 'hard' water and some prefer 'soft' water. The hardness of your water is often dictated by the source of the water.
Okay thank you.
my water is hard but I don’t know the exact numbers. I’m rushing to the pet shop to get testing kits tomorrow after work so I will let you know :)

With a location of London, your water is probably very hard not just hard. Your water company's website should give you the exact number - you need the unit of measurement as well as there are at least half a dozen different units for hardness.

If you are with Thames Water, enter your postcode here
and look for the number next to Degrees German (DH)

With a location of London, your water is probably very hard not just hard. Your water company's website should give you the exact number - you need the unit of measurement as well as there are at least half a dozen different units for hardness.

If you are with Thames Water, enter your postcode here
and look for the number next to Degrees German (DH)
I just found out who my supplier is.
info:
Calcium 123 mg/l
Total hardness 310 mg/l
Degrees German 17.36

it’s says my water is very hard. Is that bad for a Betta? If it is what can I do to soften it?

The two units used in fishkeeping are ppm (the same as mg/l calcium carbonate) and dH (the same as German degrees) so the numbers you need are 310 ppm and 17.36 dH.

Bettas are soft water fish so it is a bit on the hard side for them. Hardness can be reduced by mixing tap water with a form of pure water such as reverse osmosis water (RO). A half and half mixture would reduce the hardness to just under 9 dH.
Many fish shops sell RO water, you would just need to make sure they haven't added any minerals to it. The way to use RO water is by mixing it with tap water before it is put in the tank, and exactly the same mixture needs to be used every time.

The two units used in fishkeeping are ppm (the same as mg/l calcium carbonate) and dH (the same as German degrees) so the numbers you need are 310 ppm and 17.36 dH.

Bettas are soft water fish so it is a bit on the hard side for them. Hardness can be reduced by mixing tap water with a form of pure water such as reverse osmosis water (RO). A half and half mixture would reduce the hardness to just under 9 dH.
Many fish shops sell RO water, you would just need to make sure they haven't added any minerals to it. The way to use RO water is by mixing it with tap water before it is put in the tank, and exactly the same mixture needs to be used every time.
Hiya, I just tested my water (I went and bought the testing kits API ones)
My nitrate is around 20 ppm
And nitrite is around 1-2
I did a water change. Should I continue to do water changes?

Attachments

• 4CEC8691-01D9-4832-9D2C-452D033F1E32.jpeg
    4CEC8691-01D9-4832-9D2C-452D033F1E32.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 33
No, never use water clarifier chemicals especially if fish are in the tank (or soon will be), as other members have also advised.

There may be something unconnected with "cycling" going on here. I fully agree with you that a lone Betta in a 65 liter (15 US gallon) tank should never cause cycling issues because of the small bioload in a largish volume of water. If you have or can add floating plants, you certainly will eliminate any cycling issues immediately.

The cause of the Betta not responding to this tank may be something else...what are the parameters of both tanks, and your source water on its own? Parameters refers to GH, KH, pH and temperature, not "conditions" which are the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate factors.

Nitrate should be done around 0-5 ppm in this tank with one fish. Have you tested the source water alone for nitrate?
Hiya. I just got my water tested I went and bought the API testing kits and API water conditioner.
this is my results. The nitrate seems to be going down but is still present.
Nitrate seems to be 20ppm, would you agree? And nitrite is between 1-3
What should I do? Continue to do water changes. I’ve done 2 in the last 2 days around 30-40% water change each day is that ok?

Attachments

• 46A6A160-1FCE-4EE9-90D2-6D5F81E0EA00.jpeg
    46A6A160-1FCE-4EE9-90D2-6D5F81E0EA00.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 34

I use 50/50 tap and RO water for my Betta - but I made the rookie error of saying “yes please” when they asked if I wanted it ‘re-mineralised’??? all under control now though...and I’ve marked my fish bucket with 2.5 and 5 litre marks to keep the mix consistent ?

I use 50/50 tap and RO water for my Betta - but I made the rookie error of saying “yes please” when they asked if I wanted it ‘re-mineralised’??? all under control now though...and I’ve marked my fish bucket with 2.5 and 5 litre marks to keep the mix consistent ?
Where do you get it from? My local pet store is Pets at Home and I doubt they will do it. The other fish store is too far for me to go often. How much do you buy and how much does it cost?

I get mine from Maidenhead Aquatics, a 10ltr container is about £1.30..? I’m not certain - I never get out with buying just water ?

I get mine from Maidenhead Aquatics, a 10ltr container is about £1.30..? I’m not certain - I never get out with buying just water ?
Okay thank you. I have a Maidenhead Aquatics that’s kinda near me but I don’t drive so it’s a pain to get to.
hopefully my Maidenhead Aquatics will sell it. I had no idea the water hardness will effect my Betta. He seems healthy but I’d love to soften the water for him!

Nitrate seems to be 20ppm, would you agree? And nitrite is between 1-3
What should I do? Continue to do water changes. I’ve done 2 in the last 2 days around 30-40% water change each day is that ok?
Remind me, are there any fish in this tank?

Strips don't test for ammonia so you also need a separate ammonia tester.

Remind me, are there any fish in this tank?

Strips don't test for ammonia so you also need a separate ammonia tester.
I have no fish in the tank no but I do have a few snails.
I have ammonia testing kits and my ammonia is fairly high as well.
shall I keep doing water changes? That’s what my pet store recommended.
the nitrate is going down ever so slightly but the ammonia isn’t

If there are no fish in the tank, you are doing a fishless cycle so you don't need to do any water changes - that's only for cycling with fish.

Just follow this method

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back