Ammonia Keeps Rising For No Reason !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

maisy12345

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I don`t know what to do now ,besides getting rid of all my fish to prevent them from dying .,so any help would be appreciated .
I`ve got a 110 l tank with the following in ,and small black gravel ., two angel fish ,one medium and one small ,six corries ,one small baby discus and one small catfish ,after checking the water found the ammonia to be 1.0 so I did a 70% water change ,nitrite was fine .
This was ok  for a week then the ammonia started to get high again ,so carried on for several weeks like this [doing large water changes] now the ammonia is increasing straight after each change ,I did a water change yesterday and now when I tested the water the ammonia is nearly one ,but nitrite is normal.
Have also removed plastic plants ,real ones too as these were making the water too dirty and yesterday ,removed black gravel as this seems to be holding dirt ,the filter is hardly dirty so what`s causing the ammonia increase ?
  Let me add I `ve had these fish for nearly a year and there hasn`t been a problem until a few weeks ago ,so please help!!

It's possible that the water source contains ammonia or you tank is going into cycle because the gravel removal. The gravel contains beneficial bacteria. I would add the gravel back, add the live plants back, and continue your water changes. Also, the fish may have simply outgrown the tank. The bacteria may not be able to keep up with the ammonia load now that they are grown.

Have you tested the water before you put it into the tank? I have well water, and at my last home, it was hard and high ph. Where I live now, it is all sand, and not only does it come out of the tap a 6.0 but It also has ammonia in it right from the tap. (no I don't drink the water). I like to use Ammo Lock. It block out the harmful Nitrates from hurting the fish, and doesn't kill the nitrifying bacteria, its even safe to use during a cycle. It isn't a fix all, but it will help keep your fish from being harmed until you get things figured out. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back