Ammonia in tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Fishface11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Iā€™ve done 3 half water changes in the last week and still getting very high ammonia readings donā€™t understand why what am I doing wrong my filter is clean I just donā€™t know what to do pls HELP

Hello Fishface11, the ammonia spike can mean many things. What is the size of your tank? How many fish are in your tank and what are they? Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? When you say your filter is clean, did you clean it, and how? Also, is there gravel in the tank or other dƩcor? Please also give pictures of the tank and the tank stats (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Hardness, Temperture). Furthermore, what are you feeding the fish and how often?

What substrate are you using?
Hi Iā€™m using gravel but I did was put some plants in and they died straight away but thatā€™s all cleaned up and Iā€™ve put some knew live plants in

Hi Iā€™m using gravel but I did was put some plants in and they died straight away but thatā€™s all cleaned up and Iā€™ve put some knew live plants in .every thing was fine until I put these plants in that died straight away thatā€™s when the ammonia levels risen so could that have it

Hi Iā€™m using gravel but I did was put some plants in and they died straight away but thatā€™s all cleaned up and Iā€™ve put some knew live plants in
The only reason I ask is that some of the flashy substrates will leach ammonia into the tank for a period of time. @Neleono questions will find what the problem is :)

In addition to those questions, what plants did you add? Did you clean them before you put them in?

Iā€™ve just started putting live plants in but I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing wrong

How high is the ammonia?
Is there any ammonia in your tap water?

Just try your best to answer all of mine and Essjay's questions, that will help us find the problem.

If itā€™s only like .25ppm. It may be ammonium instead of ammonia which isnā€™t as toxic. Do you know if they use chloramine or chlorine in your tap water? You can find out from your city water utilities. If itā€™s chloramine that they use it is probably ammonium showing up.

How high is the ammonia?
Is there any ammonia in your tap water?
If itā€™s only like .25ppm. It may be ammonium instead of ammonia which isnā€™t as toxic. Do you know if they use chloramine or chlorine in your tap water? You can find out from your city water utilities. If itā€™s chloramine that they use it is probably ammonium showing up.
Iā€™ll send u pic ok

Most reactions

trending

Back