Ammonia-0,NitrItes-Toxic....Yipee !!!!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

LongNY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Out of my mind with happiness because my tank is TOXIC !!!!!....It has finally started to cycle after 8 weeks....8 WEEKS !!!!

I was sooooo happy to see my NitrIte level rise, my ammonia levels drop to 0, and my NitrAtes creeping up around 20..... To see the testing water qualities change color was soooo exciting..... I know it sounds strange, but now I can think of adding more fish.... start my quarantine tank and think of many more possibilites.... Posting this for anyone who has been frustrated during this much needed process....DON'T GIVE UP !!!!!

Thanks to all who have helped me....(you know who you are....) especially...Sinistral....

John NYC

my nitrites went to zero yesterday... i was so happy that i could finally get some neon tets in my tank

I was sooooo happy to see my NitrIte level rise, my ammonia levels drop to 0, and my NitrAtes creeping up around 20..

I'm a little confused. If your nitrAte levels are rising, your nitrIte levels should be zero, not rising. I hope it's typo. Once nitrate appears your levels of ammonia and nitrIte should be zero. If you have high nitrite and nitrate - something is wrong. Please clarify your proper levels.

Hmmmm..... I know statistically you are correct, but my readings are as I stated....my nitrItes are high....and my NitrAtes are evident.....I have yet to check my water qualities today after a water change yesterday, but will be on the look out for this as a possible problem if it hasn't changed for the better overnight.... thanks John NYC

gadazobe said:
I was sooooo happy to see my NitrIte level rise, my ammonia levels drop to 0, and my NitrAtes creeping up around 20..

I'm a little confused. If your nitrAte levels are rising, your nitrIte levels should be zero, not rising. I hope it's typo. Once nitrate appears your levels of ammonia and nitrIte should be zero. If you have high nitrite and nitrate - something is wrong. Please clarify your proper levels.
I will admit, I am a noob (been at it for about five months). However, I have cycled two tanks so far and have had nitrites and nitrates at the same time during both cycles (including as we speak in my 20 gallon).

B)

Once a tank has fully cycled the ammonia and nitrite levels should be zero and the nitrate should be kept level at about 20-40

gadazobe said:
It is definitely not unusual for both to be climbing. His nitrites should continue to rise along with his nitrates if he is continuing to add ammonia to feed the bacteria that has already formed. Since there isn't any beneficial bacteria yet to process the nitrite, as more and more ammonia is processed, the nitrite will continue to climb. As a matter of fact, the nitrites will eventually get so high they will go off the color chart to a deep purple. My nitrite was so high on the 75 gallon I just cycled, I didn't even have to cap and shake the tube. By the time the 5th drop was in the tube, the water had already turned purple. The nitrates will do the same and turn bright red. Just keep adding ammonia daily to raise the level back up to around 1 ppm and wait on the nitrite to drop.

EDIT:
I have yet to check my water qualities today after a water change yesterday, but will be on the look out for this as a possible problem if it hasn't changed for the better overnight.... thanks John NYC

If you are doing a fishless cycle, don't do any water changes until after the cycle has finished. You are only slowing the process down by doing water changes. That is probably why it took 8 weeks for the ammonia to drop.

Thanks.... I'm actually doing a fish-ful cycle.....with 3 Tiger Barbs.... understand much more regarding fishless cycling, so will do that next time...

But all is going well...

Thanks again, John NYC

Even when cycling with fish, you should probably see both of them climb slightly together but as was originally mentioned, once you start seeing nitrate, the nitrite should level out and fall. Have you checked your tap water? It's possible you have nitrate in it that is causing you to see both present at the same time. Continue with the water changes to keep the levels as low as possible.

how long is it supposed to take for a tank to get to cycle?

nonay
that depends on a lot of factors. For example what is your definition of cycled?
If you put five danios in a tank then the tank will cycle to hold 5 danios. If you add another fish then you will start a mini-cycle. I don't really understand this part of it but if you have live plants the cycle is different. If someone can elaborate on this or knows of a thread that does please post. I believe the ammonia is absorbed by the plants which would make the cycle quicker but smaller. If you see what I mean. with the plants the tank could hold X number of fish, but if you removed the plants a mini-cycle would be started because there would be more ammonia to the tank.

The simple answer to your question is that a cycle takes as long as it takes. When your nitrites are 0 and your ammonia is 0, and your nitrates are up then you have a cycled tank. Some products claim to insta-cycle or speed up a cycle. I've heard good things about bio spira. I've heard people say that it took there tanks 2 months to cycle some have said a few weeks. Mine took about 1 1/2 months with a great deal of stress on my fish. cuz i'm stupid, and didn't do research before I bought. Fishless cycle please, your fish would thank you if they could.

I agree that fishless cycling is the way to go. Unfortunately, almost all of us learn the hard way. We buy a tank, read the paperwork that comes with it (or listen the the LFS people), set it up for a week and start adding fish. As Torrean said, cycling depends on several factors and when cycling with fish, you will not be completely cycled until after the full fish load is in the tank. Just keep adding fish slowly and checking your water.

Here are my tests at 3pm 05/05/05: 4 days since introducing fish to a new tank.

ph: 7.6
ammonia: 0.50ppm
nitrite: 5.0ppm
nitrate: 40ppm (possibly 80ppm as the colours are very similar on the chart)

This was after adding 5 Zebra Danios & 5 White Cloud Minnows on Sunday 01/05/05. Obviously im doing the cycle with fish (my LFS said this was the quickest way to mature the tank and advised the hardy fish required to do this). It looks like its working well so far...

scrappy said:
Here are my tests at 3pm 05/05/05: 4 days since introducing fish to a new tank.

ph: 7.6
ammonia: 0.50ppm
nitrite: 5.0ppm
nitrate: 40ppm (possibly 80ppm as the colours are very similar on the chart)

This was after adding 5 Zebra Danios & 5 White Cloud Minnows on Sunday 01/05/05. Obviously im doing the cycle with fish (my LFS said this was the quickest way to mature the tank and advised the hardy fish required to do this).
You are in serious danger of losing all your fish. Ammonia at .5 is borderline but nitrite at 5.0 is deadly. 10 fish is way too many to add to a new tank at once. You should never add more than 4 or 5. Cycling with fish is faster but a LOT more trouble and problem. You should take either the danios or the white clouds back so that you only have 5 fish. If you don't you will probably lose them anyway. Do a 25% water change immediately to try to lower the ammonia and nitrite. Continue with water changes daily until you get the nitrite below 1.0 and don't add any more fish until the ammonia and nitrite are both at 0. After that, just add 3 or 4 fish at a time. The tank will only be cycled for the fish load you have in it so everytime you add more fish, you start a mini cycle and have to go through the same water tests/changes again.

It looks like its working well so far...

Actually, just the opposite. You have a major problem on your hands to keep your fish alive. Even if they do survive, you may have shortened their lives with the high levels of ammonia and nitrite.

Ammonia is staying at 0, and NitrItes are starting to fall.... NitrAtes are steady at 20...... I'm waiting to add more fish until NitrItes are at 0, but man does it take patience... Thanks again to all who have read and contributed...

John NYC

Most reactions

Back