Amazon sword

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Do you think a dirted tank(from dirt outside) can handle the heavy root feeding of amzon swords without needed root tabs for a couple months?Or will an ozelot sword do better and stay smaller in my tank?

Last edited:
Should also go ahead and say its a 5 gallon tank im using these for when I get them.I dose seachem flourish comp 0.8 once a week.and I got a desk lamp over the tank with one 860 lumens, 6500k cfl bulb.

First on your question about nutrients, the dirt may or may not sustain the plant. It depends upon what nutrients/minerals are in the dirt, and I would think probably not all of what is needed. Echinodorus (sword) plants are heavy feeders. I have kept them with just the liquid, but with root tabs the improvement is quite considerable. These plants need a lot of macro nutrients and soil may be deficient, depending upon its structure.

On the plant species, some of the cultivars (like Ozelot) do have higher light requirements, especially any with red in the leaves. Mine have not done very well, generally sort of "lasting" for a few months. Whereas my basic green plants like the common sword are huge and thriving, sending out inflorescences (flower stalks, but plants develop from the nodes instead of flowers when grown submersed) two or three times a year with many adventitious plants. When I have removed some of these and planted them, I have even had them grow in small tanks like my 10g. Echinodorus plants have some very interesting characteristics, such as often growing to the tank size and slowly at that. So you might have quite a lovely plant for many months without it getting too large. Trimming outer leaves regularly has been suggested to curtail height, something I have not tried as I've no need to, but it may help. But you will probably have months before this becomes necessary.

I have the basic sword Echinodorus grisebachii var. bleherae in five tanks, ranging from a 20g up to a 90g. There is another "species" that remains much smaller and was originally named Echinodorus amazonicus, but DNA phylogenetic analysis proves it is the exact same species as E. grisebachii (bleherae), so this is more evidence of how the same species can grow to very different sizes. Why this occurs is not yet understood. But I have as I said seen a similar thing with daughter plants from my large swords.

Swords are truly beautiful plants, and very effective in aquaria.

Byron.

So would a amzon sword be ok in my five gallon with my dirt and 6500k bulb?If the plant can handle two weeks I can get it root tabs.Do you think a ozelot sword will be ok in my light?

So would a amzon sword be ok in my five gallon with my dirt and 6500k bulb?If the plant can handle two weeks I can get it root tabs.Do you think a ozelot sword will be ok in my light?

The 6500K is perfect, but what wattage did you end up getting? Two weeks will not matter much, with the Flourish Comprehensive liquid alone. The Seachem Flourish Tabs are the best I have used, one next to the plant, replaced every 3 months. But what is the GH of your tap water? This is the prime source of the "hard" minerals, and if it is very soft (like mine) replacing the tabs every 6-8 weeks is better.

As for the Ozelot or the common sword, hard to say. My two ozelots have not done well, I have one left and it is clearly weakening. My common swords as I said previously are growing like weeds. For the money, I wold get a common sword. It will likely send out an inflorescence with daughter plants in time. When you buy this plant, often it is 2 or even 3 distinct plants clumped together in the rock wool or pot. They can be separated.

I'm attaching a photo of my 70g, which has the common swords and the ruffled leaf sword, Echindodorus major. The remaining Ozelot is on the right side, at the substrate. I'm sure my issue is light, but I am not increasing that with its problems for fish and algae just to grow one plant.

Byron.

Attachments

• 70g May 5-17.JPG
    70g May 5-17.JPG
    498.7 KB · Views: 128
13 watt is the wattage I got.So I think I may go with amazons for now and if that turns out well than I may try ozelot.Im hoping my diatoms don't attach to the sword.Anyways,so the swords will be fine without root tabs for 2 weeks?Also I cant tell you my GH/KH as I have not gotten a test kit yet for that.My PH is 7.4- 7.2 though,if that helps.Do you think your floating plants aren't giving your ozelot enough light so it doesn't grow well?Also still waiting for someone to tell me something about my brown algae issue.

13 watt is the wattage I got.So I think I may go with amazons for now and if that turns out well than I may try ozelot.Im hoping my diatoms don't attach to the sword.Anyways,so the swords will be fine without root tabs for 2 weeks?Also I cant tell you my GH/KH as I have not gotten a test kit yet for that.My PH is 7.4- 7.2 though,if that helps.Do you think your floating plants aren't giving your ozelot enough light so it doesn't grow well?Also still waiting for someone to tell me something about my brown algae issue.

The common sword should have no problems light wise. As for the GH, check the website of your municipal water authority, most list data and GH (general hardness, or total hardness) may be listed. Or you can call them. No point in wasting money for a GH/KH kit unless one is adjusting parameters which I do not recommend, that's another issue.

Floating plants do reduce light, certainly, but they are important for fish plus they help avoid nuisance algae. The upper leaves of those big swords are getting a fuzzy green algae, but not unmanageable yet.

The diatoms still may be due to imbalance, and the soil is a factor. This should improve with more plants like swords that will do better.

Yeah I am probably going to use wisteria as a floating plant and swords to replace the wisteria in the substrate.

Most reactions

Back