Amazon Frogbit - Limnobium Spongia

DevUK

UKAPS member
Reaction score
Morning all.

I have about 6 or 7 of these chaps floating about on my tank at the moment, and the roots have gone nuts, reaching 2/3 of the way down my tank (50cm high tank!). Can I simply snip the roots to neaten them up? Is there any reason they would do this? One reason I was thinking is that they are trying to anchor themselves, as they do float around a lot instead of staying put.

Also, I've found that some of the leaves seem to be turning yellow and blotchy, and dieing off. What might cause this?

On the plus side, they seem to be sprouting new plants :)

I dose EI and Flourish Excel (could Excel be the problem?) Lighting is 85w from 2x 30w Arcadi Freshwater and 1x 25w ZooMed Ultra Sun.

Me again! I found that for mine the old large thick leaves died off and the new leaves were smaller but healthier. Guess you can trim the roots easy enough, can't think it will do any harm.

Yeh I would say trimming the roots wouldn't do much harm, its a tough old plant. I also find with mine that the older leaves die off and are replaced by new leaves, just seems to be the way the plants works.

Sam

I moved all of mine into my dads tank because of the big roots. His tank has some pretty big fish and the Angel Fish are particularly fond of the frogbit roots and they eat the lot. The frogbit is still alive after about 6 months of continual eating and 1cm roots!

I moved all of mine into my dads tank because of the big roots. His tank has some pretty big fish and the Angel Fish are particularly fond of the frogbit roots and they eat the lot. The frogbit is still alive after about 6 months of continual eating and 1cm roots!

Hah, nice :) Well I'll give it a trim tomorrow, though it has anchoured itself nicely to my java ferns! I might rig up a little corale for them so they don't float all over the place :)

Ive got some on the way for my Spotted Perch's to hid in, im hoping they dont eat the roots lol

Most reactions

Back