Amano shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY
Reaction score
First place at State 4-H horse show!! WHOOEE!!
Well, I was thinking I could add some Amano Shrimp to my 5 gallon. The only inhabitants are Annastasia's CT betta Bob, one very small female guppy and an ADF.
I have lots and lots of live plants in there, lots of hiding places. It gets plenty of water changes and I only feed the betta with bloodworms
What would I feed the shrimp?
Do they need brackish water?
And would my betta or frog eat the shrimp? Aren't they supposed to be big shrimp?
Thanks!
Robin

Adult amanos are freshwater, the larvae need brackish at first, but apparently they are really difficult to breed anyway - I've never had any luck. They get to about 2" allegedly, but the biggest I've ever seen is 1.5". I think they'd hold their own against a betta, but I know nothing about frogs. they love planted tanks, and they'll eat any algae on your plants. They'd also love you if you put a lil bit of bogwood in for them. As long as someone can say if they'd be okay with the frog, I'd say go for it!

HTH

Edit: Sorry, forgot about feeding. I put some crab pellets in for mine every now and again so they have enough calcium etc to shed their shells ok. they also eat veggies, algae wafers and whatever's going. Pretty easy-going guys really!

ADFs shouldn't bother them. They're too big to eat. I'd be more concerned about them harrassing the frog, personally. Then again, all I've had were mean, nasty Ghost Shrimp.

ours are very happy in their fresh water environment... they have been spawning too - we have 3 or 4 carrying eggs - but at the moment thats as far as i have had chance to persure breeding them.

Once our tanks are in our new house i will be setting up a small breeding tank for them and try my hand. I dont thing they need brackish water... but i've not read anything on them yet.

as for feeding - they eat most things - algea wafers if they get chance but the generally graze on the algae on plants.

Should be ok with the betta - not sure if the betta will be ok with them though... in a small tank i think our male would try and eat them. (in our 50gal they are fine with the male we have in there)

Guppy - not a probelem
ADF - Not sure

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back