Amano Shrimp Attacked And Killed My Angel!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mitch70

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently added 4 angelfish to my set up after some very bad advice from my LFS (MAIDENHEAD AQUATICS) I told them my set up which included 10 x tiger barbs and was informed not to worry they would be fine and the barbs would just chase amongst themselves (I have a Roma 240l tank). I added the Angels and it was instant carnage the Tigers immediately attacked the Angels, cornering and nipping them, one poor Angel was a particular target and was cornered and nipped constantly. I thought they would calm down but after an hour of a horror movie I removed the Tigers (now re homed with a friend). It was then that I noticed the Angel most badly attacked been hassled by my shrimp. They were jumping up at it trying to drag it down, I have never seen this before and couldnt believe they would do this, this went on for a while and eventually seemed to stop.

However on walking this morning the Angel was dead and a shrimp was happily tucking in!

Is this normal? is it just because he had been injured by the Tigers?

the other 3 seen fine and no ill effects.

I havent been on the forum for some time and have learned the hard way about seeking advice.  

The Amano didn't kill the Angel - the wounds probably smell quite nice to them. I have a few Amano's and they go crazy at feeding time over fleshy foods. It's typical for them to 'clean up' bodies afterwards, probably smelt the Angel passing and thought would take advantage.
Try adding some Melafix for the fins. Did wonders for my Angels after scraps.
Are they young Angels? Are you aware when they hit maturity things will more than likely get nasty again?

Thanks for the reply I will try some Melafix, thought it was very bizzare behaviour for shrimp.

Yes they are just young, is the rest of my tank in danger?

They can be. What else is in there?
I got six Angels to begin with. Two paired up and they all started to attack each other. Rehomed the four and kept the breeding pair. They laid eggs as soon as I removed the other Angels but if the Cherry Barbs got too close or even the Corys they went in to attack. All depends on their nature.

I have 3 Angels (would of been 4) 10 zebra danios, 5 lake kutubu rainbow fish and 1 x redtail shark - research i did seemed to be positive about living together - tank is 240litres with plenty of hiding spots

Yes as you can see mine is 260L and heavily planted without any other mid swimmers except the Cherry Barbs and they still 'went in for the kill'. They're Cichlids, can't really expect much else. You might get lucky and get three of the same sex or something but you'll just have to wait and see. Average age for sexual maturity is about 7 months+. Timed in perfectly with mine as I got them tiny from the LFS.

Forgot to ask will the melafix affect the shrimp or is it safe to use with them in?

mitch70 said:
Forgot to ask will the melafix affect the shrimp or is it safe to use with them in?

There's no warning on the back as to whether it will affect them or not, if you're worried, maybe do half dose. All I know is within 24/48 hours my Angels fins had healed perfectly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back