Amano Lifespan

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

soybean

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, those who have amano shrimp, what's the average age they live to for you? Any records?

I've had mine for three years, I'm not sure how old they are when they reach the shop though.

I'll be rather sad when they die, I'm quite attached to them now. I expect they won't be around much longer though.

Just out of curiosity, those who have amano shrimp, what's the average age they live to for you? Any records?

I've had mine for three years, I'm not sure how old they are when they reach the shop though.

I'll be rather sad when they die, I'm quite attached to them now. I expect they won't be around much longer though.

From what I've researched, the average lifespan is 2-3 years. Some of the dwarf varieties only live for 1.5 years which is pretty sad considering how much you can pay for the little buggers. So I would say that you are taking very good care of your shrimp :good:
Some of my amano's are about 2.5 years old, they are quite large and have fantastic colour to them. From speaking to many shrimp breeders and IME, they always look their best at the end of their life. I just lost a few cherry shrimp that were fully mature and brilliantly coloured but died of old age. Shrimp are frustrating in that regard.

Yes they're enormous and very well fed, probably better fed than the fish as they're not afraid to take food straight out of a fish's mouth or carry a whole algae wafer to the other side of the tank and hide.

I think I'll add a few more soon if I find them for a decent price. I have cherries as well but I think I prefer my bigger amanos.

I've heard of people having them for 5+ years, and seen some MASSIVE females that must be that old. Sadly only managed 2 years so far, 5 males.

I have not posted on this forum for some years now, but I'm sat looking at my tank, and the shrimp in particular, and I remembered that I asked here how old amano shrimp can get. The amanos I asked about in this thread are 7-8 years old now! I will be so sad when they disappear from the tank one day but maybe they'll hit double figures, who knows 
biggrin.png

Wow, 7 - 8 years old so far, pretty good :)

I have had amanos for abotu a year now, though they were probably just about adults when i got the first few, but I recently got 2 large amanos which undoubtly are adult.

WIll be interesting to see how long these guys live for.

Great characters, love how they come out at feeding time and snatch food and run away with their tasty morsels :lol:

Good luck though, and hope your guys reach double digits ;)

I cannot believe the sheer cheek of them sometimes. I dropped half a slice of courgette in the other day, and one immediately snatched it out of the water column and sat on a leaf where he ate almost the entire thing in one go, looking decidedly smug. Long live the little pests.

soybean said:
I have not posted on this forum for some years now, but I'm sat looking at my tank, and the shrimp in particular, and I remembered that I asked here how old amano shrimp can get. The amanos I asked about in this thread are 7-8 years old now! I will be so sad when they disappear from the tank one day but maybe they'll hit double figures, who knows 
biggrin.png

I have never heard of this before... 7 or 8 years old!!!  That's awesome.

Do share your practices... I'd love to hear how you've been able to do it.

I wish I could tell you - I have largely left them to it. The set up in my tank is pretty standard. If my test kit was in date I would give you some readings ;)  I don't feed any specific shrimp food, as they eat anything they come across. They're pretty tenacious. Basically I think the key to their longevity is I haven't stocked anything that could eat them over the years...! They got chased by my Bolivian rams a bit, but not for long, soon they were stealing the food from their mouths as well, sigh. And they outlived them, too.

Yeah, the only thing that wiped out my amano's was the cichlids, oddly, eventually, apistos and aggassizis as well, rather than anything bigger. The culprit did have something of a murderous nature to be fair, even for a cichlid. They'd been steadily growing for about 3 years at that point and were showing no signs of slowing down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back