Am I Overstocked?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CoryLover95

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there,
I've had my tank up and running for about 3 months now, and just wanted to do a check to make sure it isn't overstocked.  (My last tank was overstocked and it was TERRIBLE...especially since they were goldfish.  So now I'm extra-cautious about it.)  I have a 140L (37 U.S. gallon) tank with the following stocking levels:
4x Cory Catfish
2x Platy
2x Serpae Tetra
11x Neon Tetra
Sorry if my signature doesn't say the same thing, I've been having a little trouble with it.
I know that I should have more Corys, Platys, and Serpae Tetras 
blush.png
 and I will get more if you think I should.  But I'm worried about overstocking, as I've said before, LOL.
Thanks for your input!
-CL95

Think of it as one inch per gallon. You probably have 19-24 inches of fish so as long as you don't exceed 37 inches of adult fish you'll be fine.

Yes, but keep in mind you're talking the adult size. What kind of cory do you have? I wish I could send you my 4 serpae tetras ...

I generally go by the 1 inch per gallon as well, BUT... cories are bottom feeders, and you only have 4 of them, so you have much more room for bottom feeders. I tend to think of my tank in sections, the bottom, and then the middle/top bc most top swimmers are mostly in the middle AND top, granted not all of them. This way of thinking has worked for me, and as long as you have a good amount of filtration and you don't go fish crazy, you will be good. What filter do you have, what's the lph/gph?

What are the dimensions of the tank, because, if I am guessing right, you tank is a column, meaning little floor space in relation to total volume.  It may be worth thinking about stocking in terms of surface area rather than volume, especially, as noted above, because of the corydoras.  A 20L and a 29 and 37 are all basically the same tank, although one could stock each a little more than the previous, but only by using the various levels of the tank.

Yes, yes, I forgot to mention that the method of stocking should be a direct result of the tank itself, if you have a column tank than obviously you can't stock it with 140L worth of bottom feeders. 

you need more Serpae Tetra.. maybe 3 more so they are in a group of five :D

Regardless, if I was right at it is a 30"x12" [75x30 cm], you could probably fill out your stocking [6x corydoras, 6x serape], but that would be it.  But also, cory catfish could be anything, from dwarf to larger specimens. If you could tell us what kind, it would make the whole thing a bit easier.  And, as mentioned above, filtration plays an important role in knowing just how much one can realistically stock a tank... The lower the filtration capacity, the less one should approach maximum stocking.

Okay, from the looks of the pic (nice tank!) it doesn't appear to be a column tank, and your filter isn't giving you quite 10x on turnover, but that's on the high side anyway, so I think you've got a good set up going :)     Cories prefer to be with their own type of cories, so getting 4 of each albino and green might be a bit much for the space, but I would get 2-3 more of each to up the numbers. You'll see a big difference in their behavior as well :)    I think you'd be okay with the 3 serpae's and a a few platies too.  Platies poop quite a bit, so I wouldn't over do it with them though ;)

You don't think it is a 30x12x22?  The tank looks almost as tall as it is long, which is not idea for surface-loving corydoras...

Just try a yard stick, or a piece of paper, or any object with a standard length.  Exact measurements don't matter.  Just a good idea.

I see what you mean about the shape, but for some reason I thought you meant it was like a hexagon tank lol sorry.  My tank is 23 high and my cories are fine swimming to the surface and back. I would just be concerned about the actual floor space for them, not the height. If there is an airstone and enough surface movement (which from this filter there should be) I think the tank will be just fine for a small amount of cories, and albinos and greens are pretty easy going.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back