Am I Overstocked?

crazychris

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
470
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East London
Hi guys and gals. First post so don't be too hard on me! Please can you tell me if you think I'm overstocked. I have a 36"15"12" tropical tank with Fluval 3 filter that's been running 15 years now. I do a weekly 25% water change. I never do any water tests and never have tbh. I rarely encounter disease, rarely lose fish and there's no aggression. I have an airstone running too. Recently lost a large kissing gourami, 12" long, that I'd had 15 years, first fish I bought, so must be doing something right!! My dealer is a personal friend and he called in and said my stocking is fine but just wanted other opinions.

1 large common pleco - about 10" now
2 large clown loach - about 6" each now
5 adult red wag platies
6 corydoras
2 small Pakistani loaches
2 small marble angels
1 adult blind cave fish
Flying Fox
1 large Opaline gourami 4" about
Siamese Fighter
Coolie loach (well assume I still have, never see him, lives under a rock!)

I may take my plec to my dealer. He takes them but doesn't give anything for them. His tail constantly knocks all my ornaments over so think he's outstayed his welcome.
 
Hi guys and gals. First post so don't be too hard on me! Please can you tell me if you think I'm overstocked. I have a 36"15"12" tropical tank with Fluval 3 filter that's been running 15 years now. I do a weekly 25% water change. I never do any water tests and never have tbh. I rarely encounter disease, rarely lose fish and there's no aggression. I have an airstone running too. Recently lost a large kissing gourami, 12" long, that I'd had 15 years, first fish I bought, so must be doing something right!! My dealer is a personal friend and he called in and said my stocking is fine but just wanted other opinions.

1 large common pleco - about 10" now
2 large clown loach - about 6" each now
5 adult red wag platies
6 corydoras
2 small Pakistani loaches
2 small marble angels
1 adult blind cave fish
Flying Fox
1 large Opaline gourami 4" about
Siamese Fighter
Coolie loach (well assume I still have, never see him, lives under a rock!)

I may take my plec to my dealer. He takes them but doesn't give anything for them. His tail constantly knocks all my ornaments over so think he's outstayed his welcome.


I wouldnt say it was too bad... Though your plec does sound like its having some trouble with getting around the tank. Maybe try selling it on here and you will get some money for him. Better than nothing I always say. But do what you feel right is for him and yourself.
 
Angels are supposed to have a tank 18" tall..i have the same size tank as you and was very dissapointed to find that out haha.
i think your main thing is that your tank might be too small for its inhabitants..not really that it is overstocked..like i think the clown loaches should get a bigger tank, they grow pretty slowly, but can reach sizes over a foot. the pleco as you know will get too big

also the coolie loach probalby doesn't come out cause he has no companions. get a like 4 or 5 more and you should see a lot more of them.

so like CT said, it's not really bad..just not really ideal for the fish you have...if you would like to have happier healthier more active fish try rehoming some of the ones that need a bigger tank, and replace them with some smaller fish.
 
In terms of numbers...no. In terms of size, definately.

I won't claim to have your experience in terms of time - my credentials consist of a few years keeping fish, an obsession with fitting as many tanks into my house as possible (I've recently downscaled from 8 to 4) and far too much time on my hands leaving me free to pick the brains of more experienced fishkeepers and breeders than me on here. So please take this with a pinch of salt, its my opinion and not a personal attack - and whats stated below is the commonly accepted wisdom of the aforementioned breeders and keepers.

And a side note - I don't want to offend your friend, but I'm wary of accepting advice from people who own fish shops - I've been given bad advice myself, and the forums are full of people who've been fed inaccurate information by experienced fish shop owners or employees. I personally think a large part of that is that keeping fish in a shop, divided into tanks of their own kind, with a central filter system and with fish only staying in those tanks for a short time prior to sale cannot be compared to keeping fish in the home aquarium. I could be wrong about him but I think there are some issues with your tank and he doesn't - which means one of us is wrong, and I don't think its me (obviously :) )

The issues as I see them - in order of priority:

36" tank for two 6" clown loaches is too small. Clowns are a social animal, prefer groups of 5+ and they grow beyond 6" provided they have the room to do so - if they don't have the room their growth is reduced which creates stunting and problems later in life. I'd definately rehome (or get a much bigger tank and get some more clowns.) They might not have had any problems so far but they're an active fish and a tank that size just doesn't get the best out of them.

10" common plec in a 36" tank. He won't get much bigger granted, and plec's aren't famous for being active but something doesn't sit right about any 10" fish in a tank thats less than 4 times as long as the fish is.

Angels...they're small now, they will grow and given their eventual size I'd feel a bit more comfortable with a taller tank. 18" is the recommendation an angel breeder on here (who I've got alot of respect for) quotes and having kept adult angels, I can see why thats the case.

You could carry on with the above stocking and have no issues, but I honestly think that even if you don't you won't get the most of your fish. Meeting their needs better will make them happier/more comfortable, and I reckon you'll have a better tank overall.

Personally I'd use it as an excuse to get a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft tank, and plan some new additions once thats setup. Depends on how understanding your other half is really (and finances, granted.) I'm working on both issues myself.

The other option would be to rehome the above and plan some additions - a tank of that size (about 90/100L off the top of my head) means you've got alot of options.



Thats my 2p anyway, hope its given you something to think about and I'm more than happy to discuss it further if you feel either I'm wrong, you're not convinced or you'd like to pick my brains further (for what its worth.)
 
Thanks for the replies. The Plec's going to the LFS on Friday. I'm trying to talk the wife in to letting me have a 5' tank. It's space really as opposed to cost but I know my two lovely clowns and the angels need more room. I'd keep my 3 footer too for the smaller fish and just move my big ones when it was cycled.
 
Thanks for the replies. The Plec's going to the LFS on Friday. I'm trying to talk the wife in to letting me have a 5' tank. It's space really as opposed to cost but I know my two lovely clowns and the angels need more room. I'd keep my 3 footer too for the smaller fish and just move my big ones when it was cycled.

yeh good move getting rid of the plec, i breed them and they are the messiest fish i've ever kept and at nearly a third of the length of the tank its way too big, the clown loaches are pushing it too but if your getting a bigger tank then they'l appreciate it, there's never enough room aye :lol:
 
Thanks for the replies. The Plec's going to the LFS on Friday. I'm trying to talk the wife in to letting me have a 5' tank. It's space really as opposed to cost but I know my two lovely clowns and the angels need more room. I'd keep my 3 footer too for the smaller fish and just move my big ones when it was cycled.

I'm gearing myself up for the same 'discussion' with my other half for the same reasons...less cost, more the space it takes up. Looking for a 5 footer as well funnily enough.

Keep an eye on the classified section if you do go ahead with it, theres occasionally a bargain to be had.
 
UPDATE: My big plec has gone to my dealer today. He said "Blimey what a big un", reckoned about 14" so bigger than I'd thought. Bit sad to see him go as I've had him years. He's not going to be sold but will be in a huge display tank with big fish so will have more room. Went berserk as I lifted him out in the net, which wasn't quite big enough for him so his tail was sticking out! . Took him in a bucket!
 
sorry to hear you had to give up a friend
was the right thing to do though, plus you still get to go visit him, wait till you see how happy he is in that nice big tank.
good choice. :good:
 
Aye, good call. Any joy talking the wife into a bigger tank?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top