Am i doing this right ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stuhall1973

Reaction score
Hi,

I am from the UK and have read this cycle process thoroughly (although it's not fully sinking in). I went along to my lfs and they stated that fishless cycling wasn't necessary and all i needed was some "Aquasafe" for when i fill the tank up, and "Stress Zyme" to add to the tank as the bottle advised, then just leave running for 14 days.

I have purchased these products and the tank is now running (without fish) and is crystal clear. Has anyone ever done this before and does anyone think this will cause problems in the long run.

I must say the shop wasn't pushing these products on me, they just advised me and said they did sell these products or, they are widely available for me to buy elsewhere.

The last thing i want is to kill fish due to poor advice :/ .

Look forward to your replies.

Stu.

Thanks for that, but it all reads slightly double dutch to me. Will using the "Aquasafe" (on water changes) and the "Stress Zyme" (using as stated on the bottle regularly) keep the tank safe ?

I see from reading the article that it may do !!

Great link Wilder, how can we force people to read that? I know we can't, just dreaming. Would be nice to pin that link or write our own and pin it.

Jon

No, you have a declorinator there, never used stress zyme what is it for, you need some form of ammonia to get your tank cycling.

Sorry for being slightly stupid here, but i have copied a section from the link i was advised to read which states:

Some people, such as myself, like to use commercial products such as Cycle or StressZyme when doing fishless cycling. Others feel that these products are a waste of money. It's all personal preference, and you can definitely cycle a tank without using any bottled bacteria since they exist everywhere, even floating in the air.

does this not tell me that amonia is not needed and "Stresszyme" is ok ?

i probably am wrong i know, but this tropical fish keeping is so confusing compared to cold water fish !!

When I firsted started fishkeeping I used cycle with two guppys didn't no anything then, all cycle does is speed the bacteria colony up, to keep your tank going you will need some ammonia or fish.

Ok, don't want to harm any fish so i guess it's ammonia i need as well then and do a fishless cycle. I have read around and it seems that pure ammonia isn't available at any lfs in the UK, but i have also read that a product called "Cycle" is available and does almost the same job.

Thanks for all your replies, and it's off down the local lfs for some "Cycle" and some testing strips.

Thanks again.

You can buy pure ammonia from chemist and hardware stores, as long as it hasn't got any added chemicals to it, also you can use frozen prawns for ammonia.

Sorry forget don't buy them test strips unless you have to, they are not that accurate, the liquid test kits are the best.

Let me explain what this means:

Some people, such as myself, like to use commercial products such as Cycle or StressZyme when doing fishless cycling. Others feel that these products are a waste of money. It's all personal preference, and you can definitely cycle a tank without using any bottled bacteria since they exist everywhere, even floating in the air.

What this person is saying is that he/she preffers to use commercial products whilst cycling while others think they do not help your fish or water quality.
The next part simply means that you do not need to buy 'bottled bacteria' which is what 'cycle' claims to be to cycle your tank and that you can do this just as easily without such products to help you along.
It doesn't say at any point that you do not need ammonia. Ammonia is the food of the bacteria. Without it, they simply don't grow or multiply. So yes, you do need ammonia though I believe 'cycle' may contain some.

Actualy, something about cycle. Recently, I've been seeing how other people have used it and I'm beginning to think that all that's realy in it is ammonia and dead bacteria. The beneficial bacteria you grow in your tank during a cycle, need oxygen and ammonia to survive and so should not realy be able to survive in the bottle. You can, however, it appears, use cycle alone as a substitute for ammonia and monitor water levels until your tank is cycled - you should see the ammonia spike, followed by a nitrIte spike and finaly the nitrAte spike and 0 readings for ammonia/nitrIte. On the other hand, the person I''m reffering to (jay2jay99) may simply have chloramines in their water and their de-chlorinator may only remove the chlorine. In that case, the 'cycle' product doesn't contain anything and it is down to the water conditioner and the stuff in the water...

Right, this is getting complicated and probably incomprehensible :p Let it suffice to say that I would not reccomend you follow your LFSs addvice on this one. If you want to save fish lives - do a fishless cycle. A link on how to do this is in my signature. No matter whether the stuff works or not, a cycle takes up to 6 weeks so I doubt 14 days without added ammonia would do anything.

Simplified summary of what cycling is (you said it isn't quite sinking in):

Fish waste contains ammonia. Ammonia is toxic. There are good bacteria that feed on this ammonia. They convert it to nitrIte. NitrIte is also toxic but not so much. There are other good bacteria that feed on this. They convert the nitrIte to nitrAte. NitrAte is far less toxic.

A weekly partial water change with de-chlorinated water keeps nitrAtes under 40 in a carefuly stocked and well-filtered, well-maintained tank.

Fish food or rotting material can also give off ammonia. This is why it is important to not over-feed.

The good bacteria grows in your filter media and gravel/substrate. That is why you must not wash your filter media in water that contains chlorine. Chlorine kills the good bacteria. Rinse it about once a month in old tank water from a water change. You should not need to replace filter media. If you do, only replace one part at a time to let the bacteria re-colonise.

During a cycle, you should test your water for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte. Your LFS should stock test kits. The liquid-based ones are best, last longer and are more accurate.

When you first start cycling your tank, your ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAtes should be 0. Sometimes tap water contains some nitrAte but don't worry about this. Once ammonia has been added to your tank (could be in the form of pure ammonia, rotting fish food or a frozen prawn for fishless cycling) you will find that your ammonia readings are high. We call this an 'ammonia spike'.

When the good bacteria begin to grow, the ammonia will slowly decrease and nitrIte will start to go up as the bacteria change the ammonia to nitrIte. Eventualy, nitrIte will also 'spike' as it builds up in the water.

When some more good bacteria begin to grow, the nitrIte will begin to go down. NitrAte will spike.

Your tank is cycled when there is 0 ammonia and 0 nitrIte and a higher reading of nitrAte. BUT your tank is only cycled if it has been through the cycling process - tap water that contains 0 ammonia/nitrIte and high nitrAte is NOT cycled!

When you have finished fishless cycling, do a realy big water change with DE-CHLORINATED water (you'll kill the bacteria if you add water with chlorine!) to get nitrAte down to under 40. Test your tank water to make sure this is the reading before you add fish.

If you used fish food or a frozen prawn to cycle, also vacuum your gravel with a gravel vacuum to get rid of the rotting food and debris.

Make sure you add fish as soon as you have done this - just 1 or 2 at first - so that the bacteria don't starve. The fish will feed them with the ammonia in their waste. This will then be turned to nitRite and then to nitrAte. You will remove the nitrAtes by doing a weekly 20-25% water change (always with DE-CHLORINATED water) and doing a gravel vacuum at the same time will keep your tank clean and your fish healthy.

So you see, everything's in balance. Making sure you do keep up with maintainance, don't over-stock, don't add too many fish at once and don't over-feed will serve to retain that balance.

Anyway, good luck and I reccomend you also read the tips link in my signature and the 'new tank syndrome' link (which is a pinned topic in this forum). :) If you have any questions, feel free to ask of course. :p

BTW, (just for the record :p) coldwater fishkeeping isn't less complicated - it's just that people who keep goldfish rarely realise they need to cycle their tanks because goldfish are so hardy and people are mis-informed and believe the natural lifespan (not to mention size) of one is much less than it realy is. It's basicaly LFSs' bad advice that is to blame for this (and the fact that people expect their LFS to be knowledgable and help them out which isn't usualy the case). It's an unfortunate cycle. :(

Lol... that always happens - everyone else beat me to it :p

Slyvia yet again a great thread.

Sylvia, your fingers must really be hurting after all that typing! :D I used a Nutrafin product that removes chlorine and chloramine when I added water. When I asked my lfs they said that Cycle does not contain ammonia and that when I do my tests I should have peaks on nitrite and nitrate levels but no ammonia what so ever. Make of this what you will, I know I was confused to say the least.
As Wilder says "great thread", as I always recommend to people, stuhall1973, i'd pay attention to Sylvia, she knows her stuff.

Jay

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back