Am I cycled?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'll keep this short. Two days ago I added my ammonia snack dose (dose 3 in the guide) I tested today and both ammonia and nitrite are now zero. If I was optimistic I'd think I was cycled but I don't think thats the case. Any potential diagnosis for this? I've been cycling for over a month now.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrates at 10ppm
Ph 7.0

Last edited:
You need to add another 3 ppm dose and test in 24 hours. If you get double zeros then, you are cycled.

You need to add another 3 ppm dose and test in 24 hours. If you get double zeros then, you are cycled.

Yeh I thought it was strange, I just thought I might be because everything had dropped to zero so soon after the 3rd dose.

The fact that they've dropped to zero after the maintenance dose shows you have enough bacteria to clear 1 ppm ammonia. Adding a 3 ppm dose with show if there are enough to clear more than 1 ppm. :)

The fact that they've dropped to zero after the maintenance dose shows you have enough bacteria to clear 1 ppm ammonia. Adding a 3 ppm dose with show if there are enough to clear more than 1 ppm. :)

I've just added it as you replied to that. Hopefully we have good readings this time tomorrow!

Tested today, ammonia and nitrite both at about 1ppm, pH crashed again so had to add more baking soda to get it above 7.0

It's just a waiting game now. As you've boosted your KH and pH that should help.

Yes, I would to be on the safe side. Now that the KH/pH are back up it should be gone next day.

Yes, I would to be on the safe side. Now that the KH/pH are back up it should be gone next day.

If that's the case then I'll have to add 1 or 2 snack doses afterwards as I won't be able to get to the LFS until Friday.

If it's cycled tomorrow (Sunday) one snack dose mid week should be enough.

If it's cycled tomorrow (Sunday) one snack dose mid week should be enough.

So this is the plan. If it's cycled tomorrow then one more full dose to be on the safe side, then test again to make sure the cycle is complete. Then one mid week snack dose followed by a large water change and a good scrub to get the algae off before adding fish.

Sounds good :)

I'm actually surprised how smoothly my nitrogen cycle has gone, given the unknown insect larvae that turned into flies and a cocoon in the tank plus hydra worms. They're all gone now, I removed the cocoon and I imagine the ammonia and Bicarb Soda killed off the rest. Plus the algae being there too.

Although i imagine some people have a spotless tank but a nitrogen cycle from hell.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back