Am I Allergic?

kribensis12

I know where you live
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
8,679
Reaction score
593
Points
113
Location
Peoria, Illinois
I have noticed that whenever i stick my hand into the fish tank and take it out, some parts of my hand will turn red an ditch, Sometiems it will hurt. I was wondering if it was possible to be allergic to fish or the water they live in?
 
Something is definitely irritating the skin. Probably worthwhile to get yourself some nice long plastic gloves or one of those thong/grabber things. If you are having an allergic reaction now, it will only get worse at it goes on.
 
ha. only one extra letter (that's not too bad) -- tongs
 
I have noticed being itchy after cleaning my tank. One time got a rash across my chest. Nothing too bad though. Alot of people allergic to cats.....have cats. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it is reallly irritating. Gloves/tongs work. I use the tongs, but sometimes ya just have to stick your arm in there.

Now that I typed this I am itchy...LOL
 
What are you using for treating your water? A friend of mine, who is allergic to sulfa drugs, tried Prime for a while, and couldn't figure out why he was getting a rash after working on his tanks. His son mentioned the sulfur smell, and a light bulb went off.

It wasn't the sodium thiosulfate component, as any dechlorinator contains this, it was apparently the hydromethane sulfinate.
 
If it says that it eliminates/detoxifies ammonia, it contains hydromethane sulfinate or a similar compound. Plain sodium thiosulfate eliminates chlorine & chloramine, leaving you with ammonia. This is what my buddy had to return to using, with smaller more frequent water changes.

Another thing to watch is bloodworms, they can cause an allergic reaction to some people.
 
It could also be the bacteria in the water, I noticed after I gave blood that the spot where they did the finger stick swelled and got red after I was working in the tank. I thought I got a sliver or something in my finger so I had my wife dig at it with a needle then I remembered. The same thing happened yesterday when I had a scratch on my finger. You may just have a worse reaction then I do.
 
HI KRIBENSIS
it could be any thing from exema to dermatitis,its possible to be allergic to anything
i get the same symptoms, dry itchy ( like mad) skin in my hands and arms,as far up as my elbows, i have quite sensitive skin anyway, but my hands are in a mess at the moment due to tanks
,do you dry your wet arms and hands properly after them getting wet?
use an emulsifying cream ( water based) eg E45?( USE WITH COTTON SOCKS ON UR HANDS OVER NIGHT)( from pharmacy not expensive at all)
something else i have done is plaster my hands with vaseline and then put them in 2 freezer bags and soak in warm water for 20 mins.
a warm almond oil hand bath ( few drops of very inexpensive almond oil in warm water and soak ur hands)

dont be tempted to use anything thats smells nice ( that will probably make it worse)

of course your hands need to be free of all the above before you put them in the tank, so try to get some long gloves,and use the emolient after you have done with them anyway,
keep your eye on it and if i does get worse then you will have to see the doctor ( maybe antihistimines-piriton- or prescription)
and keep your hands well moisturised as if you are putting broken skin into the tank goodness knows what else you will end up treating yourself for,if it gets worse then see the doc before putting your hands in the tank again..

i wish you all the best with this, i have always had this sort of problem, it cost me my hairdressing career,but almost everything can be treated with success these day,and hopefully a cure will be waiting in the doctors office for you..

good luck
shelaghxxxxxx
 
I never have any issues, unless my hand is in the tank. My skin only itches once in a while when dry. But after im done with the fish tank it's will itch and burn. I dont usually( sometimes i do) put a hand with broken skin in the tank. As i dont get hurt often! I do dry my hands and arms throughly after messing with the fishtank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top