Alternative To Rams.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stanster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My intention was to add a pair of german rams to my tank and I went to the LFS today to see what he had in stock (LFS = Abacus aquatics, Sidcup).

He's advised me against this as he thinks that the current tank temperature (26/27) is a little low for the rams and if I increased the temp, the current occupants (tetras and corys) might suffer longevity issues.

I was after a pair of colorful fish to complete the set up and the rams seemed the be the perfect choice.

I asked him for his advice and he suggested a pair of red breasted acara's or one of the many dwarf apistogramma's

Any advice re dwarf chi lids ?

Would be after something similar to the rams.

PS He did say that the electric blue rams he's had in were surprisingly hardy but I forgot to ask him about temp for these fish.

What corys and tetras do you currently have?

Red breast acaras (laetacara dorsigera) are great little peaceful cichlids and one i always seem to mention on threads like this,
Flag cichlids (Laetacara curviceps) and Keyholes are other peaceful species and Kribs can also be an option provided you don't mind something that has the potential to be quite feisty.

electric blue rams are german rams so not sure how he can advise against the standard form but then hint at you purchasing a much more expensive colour form of the same species ???

Yes, Just checked, the electric blue ram a variant of the german blue ram.

Think he was saying that in his experience the electric blue was hardier than the german blue (from those he had sold)

Don't think he was trying to sell, just steering me away from rams in general.
He did say if I wanted a bolivain, then I might stand a better chance in my set up.
But I'd prefer something a bit brighter.

The shop I went to has a good reputation, so I'm lead to believe.

thanks for the info
good.gif

Bolivians are cool, interactive, (more so than the Germans) actually very pretty when they're happy and more tolerant to water conditions in general.

I love the Laetacara! They are fun and inquisitive. And serious snail killers.

I have a pair of Dicrossus Maculatus and they are also awesome. Very , very peaceful and very pretty once comfortable. Plus, different. Mine also follow me around the tank. If your tank is large enough you could easily have more than a pair due to their peaceful nature.

What size is your tank? I take it you have soft water at or below 7.0 pH?

I have Kribs and I love them, once they get comfortable and if you manage to get a pair they will breed, I'm on for my second batch of fry right now, fantastic parents, very protective but if they have fry they can be aggressive towards other fish even twice their size or more.

Look on Youtube some good video clips of them on there not just about Kribs but any others you might fancy.

bolivian rams!! great characters as they seam to be so interested in the world outside the tank.

i have just brought a pair that are really small but full of energy.

Your cories would be fine at the higher temps, but you'd do best to replace the neons with cardinal tetras. Both the cardinals and sterbai are recommended as discus companions.

I'm not intending on taking the tank temp up any higher than 26/27.
The acara's should be ok at this shouldn't they ?

Was also thinking of adding a couple of shrimp, assume amano will be ok here and not just act as dinner
unsure.png

Added a couple a pair of red breasted acara yesterday.
Really pleased lovely fish
59.gif

Still trying to get the hang of feeding the right amount to bigger fish.
They have completely demolished the Egeria densa overnight.

Any advice for a good food for these
huh.png
(feeding Nutrafin flake in the morning and tetra max at night)

I'll also need to find a suitable replacement plant that they won't find gourmet.

Might try some live food in the tank next week, so how much do I need to feed them and how often.

Will put up some piccies next week
good.gif

Your flake foods are good choices. Adding live blackworms once a week, or live brine a couple times a week will definitely suffice.
As for plants, I'm surprised they ate your anacharis. You could add swords, java fern and moss, anubias, cryptocorynes and vals . These are easy to grow plants that usually don't need anything special to grow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back