Alternative Florescent Tubes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Creature Seeker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
We currently have two 25w Agua-Glo florescent tubes in our Juwel Vision 180 and have a mixture of Java Fern and various Crypts.

As one of the tubes has blown, we were hoping to replace it with something better, in terms of cost effectiveness and plant health.  Does anyone have any recommended alternatives?

Thanks!

I'd visit an online retailer like LampSpecs and search for your bulb size/wattage in Daylight (6500K).   These are usually dirt cheap, around £3 each, so it makes sense to buy a few spare to save on postage.  I usually put in a large order in for any household bulbs while I'm at it.

I had a look at the website but couldn't find any for the price you said. Am I looking in the right place? I simply did a search for '25w fluorescent'.

Also how do I know which one to get from the extensive range they have?

Many thanks.

Okay, Lampspecs are usually very good for me but they don't seem to have a good selection for your wattage and colour requirements.

You have a Vision 180 with 25W bulbs which means you've got the older T8 lighting.  (The newer Juwel aquariums all come with a T5 High-lite unit).

The first thing you need to know is the length of your T8 tubes.  The 25W tubes come in different lengths (28, 30 and 33 inches).  I think the Vision 180 takes the 30-inch versions (742mm) but measure the tubes just to be sure.

Then do a search for T8 25W 30" Daylight.

CP Lighting is another good online retailer which I have used before.  They offer this one for £3.76:
http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/NARVA-25W-742mm-Daylight
That's a 742mm tube, again do measure your tubes to be sure it will fit.

There are plenty of other choices if you'd prefer to spend a bit more money and get different colour temperature combinations but this is likely your cheapest option and it should work just fine for your plants.

Thank you very much for your well informed reply!  I have ordered from CP-Lighting.  Will let you know the outcome!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back