Alternative Filter For Biorb?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nessar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I need to change the filter in my biorb, the current one means I need to use the ceramic media which cuts my betta's fins, and he can't build a bubble nest due to the biorb filter. He got so stressed he constantly had clamped fins and then got ill, so I had to move him out.

Could I adapt it somehow to use an external filter or HOB filter? I've never used either before so dont know much about them. The current would have to be fairly weak. The biorb is 30litres.

Thanks in advance!

I need to change the filter in my biorb, the current one means I need to use the ceramic media which cuts my betta's fins, and he can't build a bubble nest due to the biorb filter. He got so stressed he constantly had clamped fins and then got ill, so I had to move him out.

Could I adapt it somehow to use an external filter or HOB filter? I've never used either before so dont know much about them. The current would have to be fairly weak. The biorb is 30litres.

Thanks in advance!

A HOB would be hard to fit due to the shape of the tank. Which model is it, the 'orb', 'ube', 'life' or 'flow'? If its the life or flow, a regular small internal filter should be fine - just feed the wire through the hole where the heater wire goes. If it's the 'ube' version, it may be harder to affix an internal filter, but definitely easier than in an 'orb'. I have heard of Eheim AquaBall filters being used in BiOrbs, but I don't know how people managed to attatch them - I have an 'orb' myself which now lies unused in the garage and I cannot think how they are attatched to the side with the sides being so curved.

Unsure about an external, not really sure how they go in the tank (the pipes, etc) as I've never had one, so I'm sorry about that. You could maybe try a small air driven sponge filter - it would be similar to the BiOrbs but perhaps you could position it differently?

What about using smooth glass pebbles for a substrate? I know the ceramic media contains bacteria, but doesn't the filter sponge too? The sponge doesn't need changing unless it's falling apart (even so, changing it in stages is best so you don't lose the bacteria in it), so you should always have some bacteria in there. He still might not be able to build a bubble nest, but at least his fins wouldn't get torn. Infact, that was one of the main reasons that my betta got a new tank - I upgraded in October, but his fins still haven't recovered and I fear the damage may be permenant. You can see my betta in my display pic - when I bought him, he had long flowing fins which weren't too far from looking like those of a halfmoon (though he was a veiltail, of course) when he flared. Big difference now. I'd advise you cover up the substrate soon to prevent your bettas fins becoming too bad, even if it takes longer for you to sort out a filter.

Alternatively, you could just upgrade his whole home - Pets at Home do 19L and 25L cubes which come with a small internal filter for £29. No light, but that probably wouldn't be too hard to sort out (get a clip on overhead one like the those in the ArcPod range - they are a little pricey but seem quite popular. You might have to cut out a section of lid to fit it, but that shouldn't be too hard to do as I believe they are only acrylic) and I presume you already have an apropriate heater in the BiOrb. You could probably do it all for £50 if you're lucky (£29 tank, £23ish light, leaving a small amount for decor). It'd make for a smaller home, but no doubt one that would be better for him in the long run and would probably be a lot less of a hassle than playing around with the BiOrb :)

Most reactions

Back