Alterations To Tank Stand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

benthyer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am looking at removing the shelf on my current fish tank stand so that I can accomodate a tank underneath my main one.

However I believe the tank is secured with wooden dowells as there are no visible screws for me to undo.

What I am concerned about it whether it would affect the stability of the stand? I do plan on resecuring the shelf with screws higher up so would effectively would be altering it too much but I am going to have to saw it out to begin with most likely.

I have added some pics, excuse the clutter in the area.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9e2qsveemmti6z/Photo%2021-08-2015%2022%2021%2049.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xrbm9q6x4ite8i/Photo%2021-08-2015%2022%2021%2055.jpg?dl=0

I'd be careful. There is not much to that stand. Since the shelf is not adjustable and is centrally located, I'm thinking it kinda needs to be there. After you remove it, check the stability by giving it gentle nudges to see if it seems to shift at all.

I was thinking that but maybe if I do find it to be a little unstable I could add some sort of brace across the back in a central posistion?

I think you would be okay if you did that. Might as well go ahead and do it before you set-up the 2nd tank. I would make it big enough to have at least a couple of fastening points on each side at least 4-6" apart. The shelf would be perfect.

I have no option but to do it first as the new tank won't fit otherwise :)

So you reckon use the shelf as a brace across the back or put the shelf back in and then use a different piece to brace if required.

I would definitely do the brace on the back and place it about center. If you don't plan on using the shelf as a shelf, use it for the bracing. It's already cut to size. Just don't use the same holes when you fasten it. A little glue wouldn't hurt either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back