Almost there.... Almost....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MikeMTL

Reaction score
Can too high nitrates cause nitrites to drop more slowly? I'm at the finish line with my cycling. My ammonia (about 1.5ppm) is getting converted in less than 24 hours but my nitrites are taking about 30 hours. Should I be doing a WC? It's been like that for the past 4-5 days. I want it to be clear of ammonia and nitrites within 24 hours.

Looks like you're getting there.

Reckon you should be there in a few days time.

Keep up the good work and keep checking, once ammonia AND nitrite readings are both at 0ppm after 24 hours of dosing, you're done!

Nitrate has no bearing on ammonia or nitrite at all btw

Looks like you're getting there.

Reckon you should be there in a few days time.

Keep up the good work and keep checking, once ammonia AND nitrite readings are both at 0ppm after 24 hours of dosing, you're done!

Nitrate has no bearing on ammonia or nitrite at all btw
What? That whole last sentence.
I need to educate myself. But nitrate still needs to be really low, right. Less than 5?

What? That whole last sentence.
I need to educate myself. But nitrate still needs to be really low, right. Less than 5?

Yep, once you get 0ppm for BOTH ammonia and nitrite 24 hours after dosing ammonia into the tank, its done! :nod:

Nitrate, ok, once you've confirmed the tank is fully successfully cycled, you do a big old water change, at least 75% or more if you can, this eliminates all the built up nitrate and hey presto, job done.

Then its time to add your livestock though I'd hold off on stocking the shrimps for at least a month (preferably 3 months) for the tank to establish itself a bit more but all the fish you've carefully planned for and researched into, lob them into the tank at the first chance you get ^_^

Which method of cycling are you using?

The method on here involves adding 3 ppm ammonia but only when certain targets have been reached. You are now at the stage where ammonia is dropping to zero in 24 hours but nitrite is not. How high is nitrite 24 hours after adding ammonia?

1.5 ppm ammonia may not be enough to grow enough bacteria for a tankful of fish. That's why 3 ppm was chosen in the method on this forum.

For smaller / nano tanks the dosage of 1ppm or 1.5ppm would be fine for shrimps and snails only set ups since their bioloads would be small and 1ppm would create more than enough bb for those.

But if for larger tanks of at least 40 litres/10 gals then perhaps 3ppm would be best to ensure there would be plenty of bb to deal with this tank being fully stocked.

I agree; I used just 1 ppm for a 25 litre tank for a betta which was more than enough but bigger tanks with more fish need more ammonia.

For smaller / nano tanks the dosage of 1ppm or 1.5ppm would be fine for shrimps and snails only set ups since their bioloads would be small and 1ppm would create more than enough bb for those.

But if for larger tanks of at least 40 litres/10 gals then perhaps 3ppm would be best to ensure there would be plenty of bb to deal with this tank being fully stocked.
What if I add fish very slowly?

That is one option. You should have grown enough bacteria for some fish, then you would add more one batch at a time.

First you would need to do a big water change (ie most of the water) to remove any trace of ammonia and nitrite and get nitrate down to tap water level. Then buy the first batch of fish and test for ammonia and nitrite every day to be make sure they stay at zero. When they have been zero for a week or two, get the next batch, again monitoring those levels. Continue like this till you have all your fish - but if at any stage you have readings above zero, do water changes to get them down and wait longer before the next batch of fish.

Live plants will help as well :)

That is one option. You should have grown enough bacteria for some fish, then you would add more one batch at a time.

First you would need to do a big water change (ie most of the water) to remove any trace of ammonia and nitrite and get nitrate down to tap water level. Then buy the first batch of fish and test for ammonia and nitrite every day to be make sure they stay at zero. When they have been zero for a week or two, get the next batch, again monitoring those levels. Continue like this till you have all your fish - but if at any stage you have readings above zero, do water changes to get them down and wait longer before the next batch of fish.

Live plants will help as well :)
Thank you. Very helpful.

Most reactions

Back