Algea Control

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Alright so I have a pond around 4000-4500 gallons. It holds during the summer months 9 koi and about 20 goldfish, the filtration is adaquet and the maintenance is weekly(water change and filter cleaning/rinising). The problem I seem too be having, and it's continuous every season, is the algea. The pond was put in by a groundscare comapny, but poorly desgined, there is no shade other than the natural shade from the house(for about 6-8 hours a day) which leaves the pond in direct sunlight for around the same length of time. I've tried chemical agents to no avail, as well as barley straw pellets and extract (currently 3 bags of the pellets in the pond). This has helped somewhat, however the algea build up on the sides of the pond is still a BIG issue. I personally don't mind but my Dad does, I've been doing some research recently and have come across 2 options that I want to try next, either a UV steralizer or an ultrasonic devise that apparently doesn't allow the algea to clinge, there in making it easier to be filtered out.

Now, I'm curious to know if anybody has had any success or used the stearlizer or the ultrasonic in their pond, also, is the money really worth it? Or will I just be spending $300+ for no apparrent reason??

HELP PLEASE XD

Have you tried planting pond lillies in the pond? Their large pads help block out sunlight and can do wonders for getting rid of light induced algae problems :thumbs: .

plants in the pond are about 5 lillies(though they are small right now), 40 or so Hiacith and 6 water lettuce. I will be adding water crest to helep because that worked last year, the only issue is that the waterfall for our pond leaks so I don't know exactly where I'll be putting the water crest this year.

Two things have really worked for me are UV without a doubt, espiacally if you suffer with green water and an airstone has really helped with the algea generally.

Most reactions

trending

Back