algae

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Knuc dog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey,

i have a 10 gal. tank and it is about 7 weeks old. i have an algae problem. i have live plants in my tank, guppies, tetras (neons and blood fins), danios and plecos ( will be moved to a larger tank when time comes). can any one tell me why i am getting this problem? any info would be great!

thanks, alex

What are your nitrAte levels like? Algae can be linked to high nitrAte and phosphate levels. With a plec in that sized tank there's a good chance that there are high leves, as you know plecs are not suited to 10gallon tanks, you need 30 for any plec IMO.

There is also a likely chance that the algae problems are linked to cycling. How far through your cycle is you tank?

Also, what colour is the algae? If it's green, I think that means you are giving the tank too much light and if it is brown it means too little. Also, direct sunlight will cause an algae problem.

HTH

thanks alot,
the algea is green and my tanks does seem to recieve alot of light (sunlight) I put my light on before work (8:00 am) and then before i go to bed (11:30) is that too long?

i was told at my ( former) pet store that the types of pleco's that i had wouldn't grow very large ( but i am moving them to a 40 gal in august, i am just waiting to move to my new house), i was told they were rainbow pleco's but i am not sure about that.

thanks again!

the main problem is the direct sunlight. that is a major no-no for your tank. Also the lights for a planted aquarium should be on only about 10 hours a day, but that is a secondary problem at the moment. HTH :)

so if the sunlight is the major problem with my tank, is there anything i can do to prevent it without taking it out of teh light seeing as though its the only location i have?

Knuc dog said:
thanks alot,
the algea is green and my tanks does seem to recieve alot of light (sunlight) I put my light on before work (8:00 am) and then before i go to bed (11:30) is that too long?

i was told at my ( former) pet store that the types of pleco's that i had wouldn't grow very large ( but i am moving them to a 40 gal in august, i am just waiting to move to my new house), i was told they were rainbow pleco's but i am not sure about that.

thanks again!
the main prob imo is you are leaving the light on far too long buy a timer and have it come on in the morn go off 4hours later for 1 hour then on again for 4 hours should break up the algae cycle :D

To stop the sunlight from hitting the tank you could cut a piece of cardboard and lay it against the side the sun hits or any other form of blocking it would be fine. It is just the direct hitting of the tankby the sun that is the problem. judcoynehunter has given you the ideal solution to the other side of the problem. HTH :)

Most reactions

Back