Algae wafers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ive heard that they do but u shouldnt use it as their staple as they are omnivorous. for my cories i just feed them tetramin pro flakes which i press into the water so it sinks and yes they do eat it too

They can, and they like the algae wafers. I alternate between shrimp pallettes and algae wafers - cories seem to eat both very well.

Diet for my panda cories:

- the usual flakes (Tetra/Nutramin)
- freeze dried tubifex worms
- hatched brine shrimps
- algae wafers
- shrimp pallettes

I'm going to be adding frozen blood worms shortly to this list.

Hi dorkhedeos :)

Corys love algae wafers, which are also called spirulina disks. I put some in just before I turn the lights out and they eat them during the night.

I feed my corys the same things that yhbae does but instead of flakes I use goldfish granules because they sink easily. I also give them live tubiflex and blood worms.

The word "sink" reminded me... :D I use the New Life Spectrum small fish formua. They are essentially small pallettes that sinks after 10 - 20 seconds so that both top and bottom feeders get chance to eat them.

I give them

Tetra tabimin
Tetra plecomin
Wardley's shrimps sticks
JBL Novofect
JBL Novochips
shrimps (boiled)
Some granules (Tetra/JBL), that sink on bottom..
Worms (frozen)
Home made food...

But no flakes :)

And of course other fishes eat those too... So, not only cories...

Here is a picture of commercial foods I give my fishes.

When I was doing research, I read that they can eat frozen brine shrimp. However, the frozen brine shrimp I put in get eaten or sucked into the filter b/f they can sink to the bottom. My cory seems to like algae disks, but he stops picking at the disks if they can't break them down.
I tried putting zucchini in, but he didn't seem to take to it...

If I were to feed them live brine shrimp, how old would they have to be? I have a hatchery for the brine shrimp, but I'm not sure how long they live b/c I placed them in water w/ deiodized salt and I ended up throwing it away b/c I couldn't find the shrimp. (If I can raise them to adulthood, do I use aquarium salt or deiodized salt?)

Hi temp :)

If the algae wafers you use are like the spirulina disks I use (spirulina is an algae) they will last a long time in your tank before they break down and spoil. Try putting them in at night and if they're still there in the morning, take them out. You might also try giving them a soak in tank water to soften them before you put them in.

If the filter sucks up the brine shrimp, just turn it off or down for a few minutes.

Why not start a new thread in the breeding section to ask your question about brine shrimp? It's buried here in a topic that will not be seen by many people. I know I'll learn something, too, and so will many others. :nod:

I try not to spoil water by only feeding sinking food 1 and 2 days before the water change day. I make sure that they always land on the same area of the gravel so that I know where I need to gravel vac more thoroughly.

As for hatched brine shrimps, I always turn my filter off for about an hour to give fishes chance to eat them. It seems to work for me, and so far, no ammonia spike.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back