Algae Problem Solution Help Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

liamhuckle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Since my chane of tank and my ammonia spike which is all settled now thank god I have got a few spots of bga and string alges not a great deal the bga is probably a 20p size on my bog wood

So the cause

While the ammonia was high I stopped dosing ferts and left my pressurised co2 running to keep ph low and also undertook huge water changes with lights on wrong I know

So how to fix this

If I just run the tank as previous will the algae die off ?

I will have a new 1600lph power head with a fluval 305 by the end of the week in a 240l tank with pressurised co2 and changing to dosing ei instead of tpn+

So will the bga die off with the above or will I have to black the tank out?

Thanks for all your help

I think you'll have to do a black out to get rid of it now or target it with liquid carbon.

I wouldn't have ran CO2 with no ferts. Would be asking for algae anyway.

I know in my mind not right nearly all the time less ferts equal quicker ammonia spike fixing.

But the co2 was left to keep thr ph low to keep the ammonia less toxic to prevent fish loss

I don't see how not dosing ferts causes any effect on ammonia?

I mean, The PH shouldn't be that much different from your tap anyway? Surely.

Tap water is 7.2 ish and with co2 in the tank its 6.4

I think i came to the idea the ammonia changes to nitrite the nitrite to nitrate and all readings were sky high so my thort was by not adding more nitrate in the ferts would help the situation

Like i say i should of asked on here but i got it in my mind and paying for it now also i believe the water changes with lights on has not helped but was a lack of options with work and family

It's cool, at least you acted quickly instead of waiting. If your nitrate was sky high then yea adding ferts would have been worse. I mean you could have changed your water slowly back up to 7.2 and your fish would have been fine.

Anyhow, Yea if it's small it should be fine really.

So it should die off now im stabilising the tank ? Im going to take the wood out and give it a good scrub in the area

And some of my plants suffered but luckily i didnt loose any fish

It won't die with stability, you'll have to scrub it off or treat it with Liquid Carbon.
Bear in mind that if you try to reduce the pH in future to reduce Ammonia toxicity, you'll increase Nitrite toxicity ;)
......prolly better to do water changes.

IMO

SO19Firearms said:
It won't die with stability, you'll have to scrub it off or treat it with Liquid Carbon.Bear in mind that if you try to reduce the pH in future to reduce Ammonia toxicity, you'll increase Nitrite toxicity ;)......prolly better to do water changes. IMO
All useful information for me to remember and its not bga i think it might be bba looking into it

liamhuckle said:
It won't die with stability, you'll have to scrub it off or treat it with Liquid Carbon.Bear in mind that if you try to reduce the pH in future to reduce Ammonia toxicity, you'll increase Nitrite toxicity ;)......prolly better to do water changes. IMO
All useful information for me to remember and its not bga i think it might be bba looking into it
BGA is green and slimy whilst BBA is more a dark black/brown and clumpy as far as I remember. Not difficult to confuse these two types to be honest, do you have a pic?

Its the bba the blavk clumpy fury on i removed the bogwood and scrubbed it so hopefully that should be it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back