Algae on Oto

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

AceTecho

Reaction score
33BAFCC9-FA91-446E-B1A2-FA3F27F9389A.jpeg

Is it just me or does it look like my oto is growing algae on his back. Heā€™s 100 percent okay, eats and swims fine just thought Iā€™ll share this.

Last edited:
I reckon he's just trying to get interest from a female.
I have a good number of them but have none that grows their own food
---------------------------------
HAVE YOU VOTED YET

Looks like just bright coloring, means hes happy.there doesnt look to be a film of anything on him

I agree that it's likely just colouring, looks pretty healthy from the photo!

There are quite a variety of sub-species of otocinclus, with variations in size, colouring and markings, and usually just sold as "otocinclus" unless it's a standout difference like the zebra otos. I bought a batch of six or eight (can't remember how many I bought now) at the same time from the same tank, and ended up with three different types of oto in that one batch. Have to look closely and research the differences to really notice, but it's an interesting rabbit hole!

Especially when you learn that certain otos are often found living near/among certain corydoras species... There's a theory that there's some mimicking going on, since cories have more defences than otos, it would certainly make sense. Yeah, fun rabbit hole! Awesome little fish. :)

I agree that is no algae on your oto. And that there are several mixed species marketed as common oto.
Regardless, your photo is of excellent quality. Good for you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back