Algae growing on fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jbrojo9

Reaction score
Hello. I have had this betta for 2 years. After 1 year, his color darkened, and his eyes because dull. The flash doesn't show the true foggy look. He acts like he always did when I first bought him. He does not seem sick. His vision seems okay, but I feel he has SOME trouble seeing/focusing. Any thoughts? The first photo is now. The second photo was when I first bought him.
Snapchat-1433365898.jpg
Snapchat-1213066954.jpg

I know @Essjay had a betta like this years ago. (She may still have pictures of hers)

Its not algae, its actually the scales starting to grow over the eye. Yours doesn't look that bad yet. My betta is starting to look like yours, and is having trouble seeing the pellets. To my knowledge, there's nothing you can do about it. :/

It's usually dragonscale bettas which have scales grow over their eyes. This betta is a koi rather than a dragonscale, and it doesn't look the same as mine did. But I don't know what the cause is here, I'm afraid.

For comparison, this what can happen with dragonscales
Dragonscale eyes.jpg

What is the pH of your tank, please
The ph is 7. Here is a photo of my tank. I do get brown algae growing that looks to be the same color as my beta. This is what makes me think algae is growing on him? He was darker a couple of months ago but he seemed to have gotten some color back. But it's hard to tell sometimes.
Snapchat-1115987175.jpg

Last edited:
It's usually dragonscale bettas which have scales grow over their eyes. This betta is a koi rather than a dragonscale, and it doesn't look the same as mine did. But I don't know what the cause is here, I'm afraid.

For comparison, this what can happen with dragonscales
View attachment 144189
Oh my gosh. I didn't know this could happen. You are right, mine does look different. I'm sorry about your dragonscale.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back