Algae Eaters

Monty2451

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
382
Reaction score
2
Points
18
I was just wondering what are some good algae eating fish for tanks other than the standard pleco. Most people don't keep tanks that are actually big enough for most plecos, and they soon out grow the tank they were bought for. So what can be kept instead? I know Otos are good, but they tend to be frail and die quickly. and Chinese Algae Eaters become both aggressive and can develope a taste for the slime coat of other fish as they get older. Siamese Algae Eaters are good, but hard to come by; especially because a lot of LFS's mislabel Chinese Algae Eaters as being Siamese. I would appreciate any input for all freshwater tanks, both cold water and tropical, and invertebrates as well as fish that are good for this. I'm not really looking for bottom cleaners, as I know snails, shrimp, loaches, corys and a variety of cats are good for this, but strictly algae eaters, or ones that do both. Thanks! :good:
 
I would have to disagree that otos are frail. They just need to be put into an "established' or "mature" tank. One that has stable water conditions, and lots of live plants help too. They are sensitive to big water quality changes. If you have stable water parameters, IMO they arent any more frail than any other fish. Also they are shy unless put into groups.

Amano shrimp, cherry shrimp will also eat algae as well as left over food. Of course if given a choice between leftover food and algae, they go for the left over food.

Siamese algae eaters are good, but even the real ones can get quite large and often people don't have enough tank space for them
(when they get to be full grown)
 
Bristlenose plecs only grow to about 6" and are widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best, algea eater around.
 
I agree to all of the above, BN won't be best option if you have planted tank though but they are excelent algae eaters. Make sure you get SAE and not CAE because they when the mature they dont eat alage as much and they can become aggressive.

You also have the option of snails, in particular the golden apple snail, beacuase they lay there eggs above the water line so you wont get hundreds of babies unless you let them hatch which takes approx 2Wks
 
Amano shrimps are my preferred method. They have personalities especially when they pinch bits of food off the substrate from other fish. They dont load up your bio system,dont leave much waste but make sure they cant escape your tank. They need good quality water but i have plenty and they will take all the algae of a rock in one night.
 
I like apple snails for this purpose :)
 
Thanks again, this is some really helpful info. I work for Petco and I'm trying to learn more about general tank fare as I am strictly a Betta person at the moment. So I'm just looking into alternatives to plecos to suggest to people for algae cleanup as most people don't have tanks big enough for most plecos. ^_^
 
try using a stream loach, they grow up to about 5-6cm long and are really good, ive two who completely keep my 90l tank clean of algae

The largest issue with them is they are typically very poor fish to have in a community setup. They require A LOT of water movement and cooler water temperatures than are common in most people's setups.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top