Algae E Tennelus Tools And Ottos

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

garuf

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Okay, question one, I currently have thread algae and manual removal seems to be doing the trick as for now, should I be reducing my ferts though? I read excess iron is the cause, but EI relies on excess so how does this work?

also so as to not overwhelm the board with multiple threads, how do you or can you train E Tennelus "chains" to give 100% or close to substrate coverage? mine are sending out chains of growth readily and its all very healthy but its not very close together and regardless of the fact there is some 20+ plants it still seems sparse.

in addition, just what do ottos eat? I haven't seen them take any food when offered nor have I ever seen them eating any of the algae I have, are they okay? they seem really lazy and when ever I look at the tank they're just there on the side glass kicking back.

and while I'm at it does anyone know where I can get cheap layout tools, tongs, scissors etc. ive looked at AE but £30 seems a lot of money for a set, does anyone know where I can get them cheaper or a similar tools but for less?

Cant help on the algae, what is your plants cover like and do you have a lot of fast growers in there?

I have E. tennellus which is carpeting nicely. I started off with five plants and just put them in the area I wanted covered and that them grow as they will. As they put out chains I waited until the lanlets had a few roots then cut the connecting stem and moved the plantlet to the new area. Mainly I have just left them alone for the most part as they seem to be doing a fairly good job of spreading themselves.

Otto's: I could not find ANYWHERE near me that sells otto's so no actual experience here. Try getting some aglae waffers and put one in after you turn the lights out.

I got a cheap pair of scissors of ebay which where about £6 including delivery. They felt seriously cheap though and where blunt as hell. Shrpened them and they where ok but still felt cheap.

I just got one of the tool kits from AE and must say it is well worth the money. Scissors are nice and sharp and the blades meet up nicely, tools feel heavy and of high quality. £30 is fairly expensive but I think it is well worth it.

Cant help on the algae, what is your plants cover like and do you have a lot of fast growers in there?

I have E. tennellus which is carpeting nicely. I started off with five plants and just put them in the area I wanted covered and that them grow as they will. As they put out chains I waited until the lanlets had a few roots then cut the connecting stem and moved the plantlet to the new area. Mainly I have just left them alone for the most part as they seem to be doing a fairly good job of spreading themselves.

Otto's: I could not find ANYWHERE near me that sells otto's so no actual experience here. Try getting some aglae waffers and put one in after you turn the lights out.

I got a cheap pair of scissors of ebay which where about £6 including delivery. They felt seriously cheap though and where blunt as hell. Shrpened them and they where ok but still felt cheap.

I just got one of the tool kits from AE and must say it is well worth the money. Scissors are nice and sharp and the blades meet up nicely, tools feel heavy and of high quality. £30 is fairly expensive but I think it is well worth it.

my ground cover is about 70% i would say probably less, its filling out nicely though so I am thinking it might not be long before the plants start to take over.
and good call on the e tennelus ill look into that when I do my weekly big tidy on Sunday. Ottos are available en bulk from pets at home, just lie when people as you where they're from, :shifty: ill try and get some hikari wafers for them next time I am in Burton.
hmm looks like ill have to splash out on a set, I use surgical scissors currently for trimming but find it impossible to plant with the tongs I bought, totally useless don't release when you plant meaning you end up pulling the plant back out don't grasp anything well and when you do bruise the plant, more often than not i don't bother with them and just use my fingers and hope for the best!

About the ottos i have a couple of them , i don't feed them at all ! i wouldn't bother with algae wafers. They seems to be like scavengers, they seems to be eating something but not hair algae or black beard algae. From my experience the ottos in my tank seem to eat the green algae slime, the smudges that you often see stuck on tank glass,

unless there is tons... you really need to feed them some. They need a varied diet just like other fish. From what I was told they are supposed to like fresh vegetables too.

They may seem like they're not eating much algae, but in several weeks you'll notice the difference they've made on the algae. My ottos won't eat hikari wafers, but will eat brown algae and courgette, like my rubbernose. If their bellies are round and seem full then they're probably finding food alright.

Okay, question one, I currently have thread algae and manual removal seems to be doing the trick as for now, should I be reducing my ferts though? I read excess iron is the cause, but EI relies on excess so how does this work?
I think excess Iron has been ruled out as the cause of algae unless of course there is another defficiency that is stopping the plants.

in addition, just what do ottos eat? I haven't seen them take any food when offered nor have I ever seen them eating any of the algae I have, are they okay? they seem really lazy and when ever I look at the tank they're just there on the side glass kicking back.
Otos will eat brown algae (diatoms) and a lot of the algae they like is found on the leaves and glass which is why you will often see them stuck on the glass. This is perfectly normal. Once the glass is clean they will spend more time on the lpants leaves. As stated above do not rely on algae to feed them as if there is not enough they will starve and die which is a common problem as people see algae in the tank, think the Otos will eat it but it is the wrong kind. Feed them catfish or algae pellets. They will stay on the bottom and the Otos will only eat it once they have run out of algae.

and while I'm at it does anyone know where I can get cheap layout tools, tongs, scissors etc. ive looked at AE but £30 seems a lot of money for a set, does anyone know where I can get them cheaper or a similar tools but for less?
Aquatic magic on ebay sell sets of angled scissors, tweezers and sandscapers which you should be able to get for around £10 inc postage (make him an offer). They do feel cheap but at the end of the day for the price they are does it really matter? They work and I use mine quite often with no problems. Who wants a velvet lined case for their tools anyway?
I bought 2 sets for £19 inc delivery in March and haven't had to open the second set yet!

Andy

Last post has pretty much said it all, just a minor addition that has already been touched on;
Otocinclus can be very fussy eaters and may not take prepared foods, like algae wafers, and have been known to starve in aquarium due to this behaviour.
Make sure you use courgette as a suppliment once your algae has gone, or begin adding it now to get them used to the idea.

My oto go nuts for any food on the substrate, they even go for bloodworm like mad which is something I didn't expect.

Yeah - I don't use wafers, I use the small catfish pellets and my Otos seem to love them as do the pitbulls.

My Otos ignore bloodworm, but then again the tetras devour this before it gets to the bottom.
They ignore peas but do like courgette and cucumber

Its pretty safe for me with these foods anyway because what the Otos don't eat the pitbulls will finish in the night, so I just leave the food in there.

Andy

thank you for all the replies I've put some fresh courgette in from out of the garden for the otto's if I don't see them eating any ill take it out and try some cucumber or peas, I don't really have that much algae so I'm guessing I should be feeding them something in addition, shrimps seem to be into courgette though which is a bit surprising.
and thanks for the tool suggestions Ill investigate that tonight.

still having trouble getting otto's to eat :( they both look realy thin, ive added cucumber and courgette to see if they will eat it and well they don't, shrimps do but by the morning its untouched suggesting they don't like it.
E tennelus I've cracked, just cut the shoot head and it sends out a runner in the opposite direction, still having trouble getting it to fill in into a close carpet but its getting there, and the algae thing is worse than before but at least I'm managing to keep it under check, still waiting for my pressurised kit to arrive from Germany, posted on the 10th according to them but its yet to arrive.
and tools, I bought a set from aquaticmagic and I'm waiting on them to arrive, bargain too just over a tenner for scissors tongs and a gravel scraper.
my HC has become riddled with riccia which ive never bought (and I really don't know how it got there) but it does mean I have a hell of a time getting it out and keeping the HC planted so fingers crossed these tools should help :) Riccia really can be a weed cant it.

Try boiliing the courgette for 2 mins, then place in a bowl of cold water to cool, once cold add to the tank.

Cheers Gordon

Riccia can be a bu**er and it gets a little boring to see it in every tank. I've ditched mine recently but just 1 piece left stuck to something means that you are picking bits out forever.

No idea on the Otos but I would suggest that you get some catfish pellets and let them sink. They won't do any harm and you have to try to get them to eat something!!.

Andy

I've no idea about this suggestion, just something i've vaguely noticed while mooching general fish stuff;
Garlic seems to be oft feted as an appetite stimulant, many people (apparently) use it to make food more attractive to fish, maybe you could try smearing the courgette with a nice juicy clove of garlic and see if this makes a difference?
Can't hurt to try....

Have you any space for more fish in your tank?
I'd consider adding more oto's which may be seen by some as a bit perverse considering the 2 you have currently aren't eating but i'd have thought this'd make them more comfortable.
In my loach tank they always eat their courgette, algae wafers etc. in a group; being nervous, shoaling fish maybe this is part of the problem?

Most reactions

Back