Algae Control New System

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Koraal

Reaction score
So the tank has been running for three weeks and the algae are starting to show. I can see rust brown algae that has short hair and show everywhere including the sand. I've also seen some bubble algae coming in one spot. The water params are 0 Nitrite, 0 Ammonia and 40 ppm Nitrate (pretty much steady since the first week). Have been doing 25% water changes each week. My question is whether I should introduce a algae attack pack (Liveaquaria.com) with turbo snails, scarlet hermit crab and dwarf red tip hermit (possible some others). Would this be too soon or is waiting a few more weeks not a good idea with possible the tank full of algae.

I've setup a fission mini protein skimmer, but it does not seem to do much more than introduce a bunch of microbubbles in the tank. The collection cup fills itself with water and overflows - not so good if it collected anything already. Some pics of the algae below:

Hairy rust brown
IMG_0660.jpg

Bubble - still very small
IMG_0661.jpg

As soon as your nitrates hit 5 or less you should be okay to add your cleanup crew, Just make sure there is enough to keep them fed :good:

Thanks - I'll wait a little longer.

I've also experienced a "told-you-so" during my last water change yesterday. I decided to remove the single coarse filter from the first chamber - Nano 24 DX. Interestingly that did reduce the Nitrates level to 20ppm instead of the usual 40ppm in a day. That may just be a coincidence - or maybe I got to much clorine from the pool in my eye - but that does seem to support the general consensus about filters in the cubes with LR.

I hope the parameters will be right in a couple of weeks because my wife thinks I'm way to exited about a pile of rock in the water. I know - patience.

Small size protein skimmers in nano's are generally ineffective unless you come up with some high falootin' DIYs. In general, small nano systems do just FINE with weekly 10% water changes.

As you've seen, filter material, ceramic beads, sponges, etc can keep your nitrates high. One of the best nitrate reducers for our small systems is a refugium with chaeto and a good PC light. SH

If you have no livestock in there, I would reccomend a BIG water change to get the nitrates down and then toss in some cleanup crew. I'm actually not that thrielled with liveaquaria's cleanup crew packs... I think they're overpriced and not of the correct composition. Depending on the size of your tank, I'd look into Cerith, Nassarius, and Nerite snails, and maybe a couple scarlet hermits. I'm not a fan of bluelegs even though I have them in my tank cause the little guys bulldoze everything. I dislike Astrea snails cause they always end up falling over and dying, and turbos tend to not do well with the high heat of the summertime (I'm sure its not much different down where you are ;)).

If you dont have any good LFS' nearby and have to mail order, tehre are some other US suppliers that specialze in cleanup crew that I'd look into if I were you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back