Algae Bloom - Green Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Spent198

Reaction score
So, I went home for spring break and added my weekend feeder. When I arrived back, all of the fish were healthy and swimming around happily, but the water was cloudy and green! I had the usual amount of brown algae because of the fact that this is a new tank, but I have never had a problem with green water! I quickly did a 50% water change and added Vita-Chem, Stress Coat, and PH stabilizer. Today, I did a 25% water change and added water from an established tank of a friend of mine. The water is much less cloudy and green, but I was wondering why this would have happened? I also changed my lighting schedule from the previous settings (9am-1:30pm, 4pm-10:30pm - 11 hours total) to (10am-1pm, 5-9:30pm - 8.5 hours total) hoping that this will help solve my apparent algae problem. The tank itself is a month and a half old.

Other information:
Temp: 79 degrees
Ammonia: 0
Filtration: Filter Floss, Sponge, Activated Carbon, Chemi-Pure, Purigen

Thanks for your help!

-Carl

Algal Blooms are more common in newly established tanks. Throwing loads of chemicals at it rarely solves the issue. Algae growth is mainly caused by an imbalance of nutrients in your tank. This will even out to a certain extent as your tank matures. To help things along be careful not to overfeed and consider fast growing real plants on 50% of your substrate. This is the best cure for algae by far.

This article is also helpful:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_algae.php

:good:

We had a horrible algea bloom in our 30 gallon from our light being on so much. We did 2 100% water changes (luckily lost no fish) and finally used a product called Algea Fix and within the first 2 treatments the water was clear agian.

I bought a 9 watt uv sterilizer for my 40 gal. Cleaned it up in 3-4 days.
Polished the water beautifully. Cost was about $60 US.

I bought a 9 watt uv sterilizer for my 40 gal. Cleaned it up in 3-4 days.
Polished the water beautifully. Cost was about $60 US.

This is an option I am looking at right now. I found an in-tank UV Sterilizer that may be my best bet if AlgaeFix doesn't work. I added my first treatment yesterday so I am eagerly awaiting results.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-Killing-Machine-...bayphotohosting

That is the link for the UV Sterilizer. I am limited with space so the in-tank option looks like it might be the best.

We had a horrible algea bloom in our 30 gallon from our light being on so much. We did 2 100% water changes (luckily lost no fish) and finally used a product called Algea Fix and within the first 2 treatments the water was clear agian.

Glad to hear that this isn't too out of the ordinary. :crazy:

-Carl

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Still having this problem. I have performed 2 treatments of Algae Fix, decreased the amount of time my lights are on, performed numerous water changes, and still nothing has changed! Is a UV Sterilizer my last option?

-Carl

Lots of other members have had success at clearing up algal blooms using UV sterilizers. Then you just need to work out why you got it in the first place otherwise it will inevitably return.

:good:

I got the 24 watt version last year. I ended up solving my green water with feeding per day instead of 2, and putting the lights on a timer. The only time I used it is when I notice a sick fish I put it in my tank for a while, hoping it kills bacteria or whatever in the water to keep anything from spreading.

The 24 watt one is about twice as long, but its more powerful lamp should be able to handle ick, where the 9 watt one might not kill parasites.

One thing is the sponge on them clogs in a week or two - but its easy to remove and rinse out.

First of all take the activated carbon out of your filter. You don't need it.

Just do regular water changes and keep the lighting on less and the green water shoudl go away in no time. :)

The problem with UV sterilizers and the algae liquid products is they do not address the root cause which is as mentioned earlier too many nutrients in the water. In fact the sterilizer and algaeacides can cause a spiral because they do not remove this excess nutrient they only kill the algae, the dead algae remain in the tank unless removed by water change or micron filtering and fuel the next bloom. The first thing you need to do is study your water chemistry to ensure it is stable. Do you have a properly sized filter. Then you need to look at your stocking levels, are there too many fish in the tank. Then your feeding practices. Then are you doing proper partial maintenence. ( at a minimum a partial every two weeks and a full clean every month) The very last thing you need to be concerned with in my opinion is light, if there is not sufficient food for the algae to feed on it will not form at any light level. Bottom line, make sure your basics are correct before using chemicals or a uv sterilizer. Scott

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back