Albino Tiger Barb Swollen, Red Belly And Gills.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nitefishie

Reaction score
Request Help

Tank size: 50 gallon long. 12 gallon wet/dry filter
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
kH:80
gH:300 - my water is like liquid rock!
tank temp: 76f

*Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Red, very red gills. Since these fish are semi transparent, it is very pronounced.

I can also see through to their stomachs. Both fish have...
RIGHT SIDE: A strong red line, directly above what looks like their actual stomach (almost like an outline). Starts at the middle of the gills to the anus.
LEFT SIDE: The red line is wavy starting at the middle of the gills and goes to the anus. There is also a dark brown spot right before the anus, possible poo?

These sometimes look better or worse, every time I look at them.

*Volume and Frequency of water changes: 20-30% weekly, 50% monthly

*Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: fake plants, sand bottom, diftwood, some dying grass.

*Tank inhabitants: 6 tiger barb, 1 albino (besides the new ones), 3 long tailed rosy barb, 2 mystery snails

*Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Small acrylic salad bowl housing some guppy fry.

*Exposure to chemicals: none

Back story...
OK. I got my 2 new albino tiger barb three days ago. I watched them in the display tank for about 30 minutes to make sure they looked and acted healthy. They were bagged and I inspected them. I returned home (20 minutes check out/drive) put the bag in the tank (20 mins) and then placed them into the tank. (No, quarantine, terrible I know!)

Immediately I noticed the red gills and red "stripe" in their stomach. Since there was absolutely no sign at the pet store of this I assumed they had ammonia poisoning from the bag. Is this correct?
I just looked and the gills seem to be staying red in the same color and area.

The stomach red stripe is completely contained within the body. There is no signs of puncher wounds or other on the fish. They both have distended bellies. Is this a parasite?!?

The red seemed to be moving down and out! I don't want them to be pooping worms in my tank! (I have no idea if that's how worms work, I'm imagining mammal worms)

They are acting quite normal. A bit skittish, Their colors have really blossomed since they have been in my tank!

And thoughts? Should I remove them? I'm going to try to get some pictures on here.

The red striping and inflamed gills is a sign of septicemia, a bacterial infection of the bloodstream. It becomes very hard to cure once it shows.
Or, like you think, ammonia burns. All though ammonia burns can turn black once they heal.

Are they breathing rapidly? Is there excessive slime, or a mucus trail? Are they eating?
How long were they in the bag?

For now, I would just keep up with your weekly 25% water changes, maybe even doing some every two to three days to keep water stable and clean.
What declorinator are you using? I suggest you start using one with aloe vera, which promotes healing and soothes fish. I recommend StressCoat+ by API.

Check back with us ASAP so we can help diagnose the problem :good:

I use Prime.
They are behaving completely normal, perhaps a bit skittish. My other barbs are larger.
They otherwise "look" amazingly healthy. No nipped fins or abrasions.
No mucus or excess slime.

I think I'm going to skip feeding for a couple days, since they're greedy eaters and I don't want to make the ones stomach any bigger.

I'm trying to post a picture on here, and it says my file is too large. I have no idea how to make my file size smaller.

Just seeing if this will work.

http://co107w.col107.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=fc8e5699-39d4-11e2-979c-001e0bcbd4c8&Aux=2114|0|8CF9BF8E6DD8080||0|1|0|0|7|5,11,53&cid=621096a88ff248c3&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHwyMDEyMTEyOF8yMTA1NTAuanBnfGltYWdlL2pwZWc_3d

http://co107w.col107.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=05bc67b2-39d5-11e2-b5c6-001e0bca7e02&Aux=14|0|8CF9BF8EAEF3830||0|0|0|0||&cid=621096a88ff248c3&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHwyMDEyMTEyOF8yMTA4MzgtMS5qcGd8aW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d

http://co107w.col107.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=d66e10e9-39ca-11e2-b970-001e0bcb73c8&Aux=54|0|8CF9BEEC699F6F0||0|0|0|0||&cid=621096a88ff248c3&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHwyMDEyMTEyOF8xOTU0MzktMS5qcGd8aW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d

I can't view those pictures...
How much do you feed them daily and what kind of food?

It might not be septicemia becaise they are not lethargic
For now, keep water clean and stable.Try feeding the barbs, cooked and deshelled peas, If the barbs are simply constipated the peas will clear them up

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back