Albino Pleco Fins Being Eaten

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Josh.Paananen

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently bought my first pleco, an albino pleco 3 days ago. This arvo as I got home from work I saw that all of his poor fins had been nipped and eaten, one almost all gone and the others half chewed away. I'm devastated as I paid quite a bit of coin for him and as he is brand new. He is about 2/3 inches long.
In my tank I have 1x Blood dragon Peacock, 1x Afra cobue, 1x iceberg electric blue and 1x red tail shark. As well as 2 very small bristlenose catys.

I do believe it is the peacock doing all the damage as it is 3/4 inches long itself and the biggest fish I have. I have only had them about a month in my new 4 ft tank, all is well just other than the unlucky albino pleco.

Does anyone know why this would have happened and what I can do? Will my pleco just die now or do I need to remove either the pleco or peacock. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I think you need to do some research on fish compatability and group numbers, as you peacock is more than likely trying to eat to Pleco and will more than likely try and eat your corys to, our it might be the red tail as they can be aggressive fish, what type of tank are you trying to achieve, our are you just throwing what ever catches your eye in there without any research in to what can go with what and what the requirements of said species are. And is your tank cycled as you say had them about a month? If I was you I would rehome the peacock the afra and the shark, up your group of cory to at least 6 if you tank is cycled and go from there, unless you want a cichlid tank then rehome the non cichlids and keep them,also another question of what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

The pleco is all healed up now, I moved it to recover and treated the water with healing agent. I got rid of the dragon blood peacock and got a much smaller one, so all my cichlids are around the same size.
The community of cichlids I have are very comfy with each other now and there is hardly any aggression.
It was just the very large peacock I had before becoming very dominant.
Thanks for your help though

Most reactions

Back