albino frog help!!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

becciz

Reaction score
HI, I have a 4ft tank containing 2 silver dollars, 1 tiger barb (quite a peaceful little thing given its reputation as a fin nipper) a sucking loach, a corydoras a baby platy and two albino frogs, fred and freda..
my problem is this, every time I feed my fish, I examine them to make sure no problems, on Saturday, I noticed a lump on my female frogs stomach which seems to be a lot of smaller lumps in one mass. it in only on the left hand side of her stomach and she is swimming lop sided. she is still very active and feeding well but I am a little concerned. I cant find any literature about the breeding patterns of these frogs and wondered if the 'lump' was eggs, I know that sounds pretty thick but I dont want to risk a vets bill to look silly.
Hope someone can help

hello, i don't think i can help much but i have same problem. We only have two gold albino frogs in our tank, and when we feed them, one of them gets extremely bloated. It usually deflates but this time it's not getting smaller and it's the size of a golf ball!

hello, i don't think i can help much but i have same problem. We only have two gold albino frogs in our tank, and when we feed them, one of them gets extremely bloated. It usually deflates but this time it's not getting smaller and it's the size of a golf ball!

What are you feeding them on? if you are just feeding Bloodworms then this would be the cause of their 'bloat',
If fed high quantities of bloodworm alone the bacteria in the bloodworm will cause the frogs organs to not work properly, in extreme cases this can kill the frog

This website should help.
ACF site

HI, I have a 4ft tank containing 2 silver dollars, 1 tiger barb (quite a peaceful little thing given its reputation as a fin nipper) a sucking loach, a corydoras a baby platy and two albino frogs, fred and freda.

you do know that the frogs will eventually eat most of their tankmates as they grow?
I don't know the answer to your question but the link posted above should be able to help.

Yes we're feeding them on bloodworm alone, as this is what we were told to do. What else are we meant to feed them?

Yes we're feeding them on bloodworm alone, as this is what we were told to do. What else are we meant to feed them?

they should be fed a varied diet that consists of bloodworm, Daphnia, Tubifex Worm, Chopped Earthworm, pieces of prawn, Beefheart, Brine Shrimps, Mosquito Larvae

ask at your LFS if they sell a tropical quartet or quintet, this will usually include frozen blocks of bloodworm, brine shrimp, Mosquito Larvae, and Daphnia. you can then supplement the frozen foods with the occasional piece of prawn. (This is what we feed the ACF's in the store where i work)

African Clawed Frogs also like live feeder fish like rosy red minnows and guppies.

Hi Davo86 :)

That could well be. It's perfectly fine in the US though.

Just a thought, what substrate do you have? It could be that it's swallowed some gravel and that would be why the lump isn't going away and is causing it problems moving.

Doh1.gif

Oh gee!

BTW, there's a name for when that happens. It's called "Necroposting." :look:

_____

I just read that Lrennie's frog died. Sorry to learn about that. :(

Most reactions

Back