Airstone a Godsend

pandapops001

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
after adding live plants i realised that the fish started looking a little lethargic, (water levels were great)so i asked at the petstore what the best thing was to do, he gave me two choices

1. Leave the lid off my tank when not using the lights so the tank gets more airation

2. Add an airstone to improve the amount of air circulating as live plants can take the vast amount of this up

So i bought an airstone and added it about a week and a half ago, the fish loved it straight away, and are constantly swimming up and down in the bubbles and tend to spend much less time at the top of the tank.

It has also improved the reaction to water changes in my tank, as they also see this as a big game and often take turns swimming in the current of water i add.

I really love my fish, this is so addictive its unreal, and i keep searching ebay, trade it and the lfs's for bargains on bigger tanks, ideally i'd like to get a 50gal for more tropical and smaller, say 30gal for saltwater fish. My partner thinks i'm getting obsessed lol :rofl: perhaps i'am.

Americans are so lucky on getting bargain tanks, i always see posts from people in the US who have done well, i'm pleased for you all however very envious ;)

Lucky you got a airrock dude :) fish sitting at the top of the tank means its bad news but you did the right thing and asked for advise so well done!

That's weird, I had always heard live plants would help oxyginate the tank...I mean, plants give off oxygen.

Hmm...something to think about before I go to live plants! :)

TracyRee said:
That's weird, I had always heard live plants would help oxyginate the tank...I mean, plants give off oxygen.

Hmm...something to think about before I go to live plants! :)
Plants do two things they photosynthesise and they respire. The process of photosynthesis takes in carbon dioxide and gives out oxygen. it only takes place during light time.

respiration is the opposite, it takes in oxygen and gives out carbon dioxide. (we do this too when we breathe). i don't think switching to live plants would have _that_ much of an effect, Ive never noticed it, but if it does the solution seems to be...add an airstone at night!

so yeah. there you go.

pandapops thanks loads for this thread, I was thinking just this very morning that plants must steal oxygen during the night, and wondering if it would be beneficial to add CO2 in the daytime and O2 at night...well now I know :D

pandapops001 said:
Glad i helped lol, -_-

So should i just put it on at night? as i have it on most of the time at the moment
Argh, now you're asking ... :p I'm not sure. Did your fish seem starved of oxygen all the time? If so, I'd advise keeping it on...but i read somewhere that using an airstone reduces plant growth, presumably cos it pushes CO2 out of the water. Do wahtever you think's best for the fish I guess.

Most reactions

Back