Air pump

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Aqua Man

Reaction score
Hiya Guys! ;)

I was just wandering if i needed an air stone or another source of air into my Tank. When it will be set up it will have a Fluval (spelling) filter and a normal heater unit. I have seen several tanks that come with the gear included (juwel and Hagen) but neither of these have an air stone or air pump included.

I have one, although it makes a terrible noise (i was given a load of stuff a while back), and basicaly wanted to kow if i need to use it.

I plan to put some real plants into my tank and hoped this would be enough to oxiginate (spelling again?) the tank enough.

At the minute in preparing my first tank for its initial cycle, and currently looking for a larger tank. You could say this smaller tank is my way of 'dipping my feet' into all this fun.

Im taking my time, i wanna get it right, hence all the question.

Thanks in advance for any replys. :D

Hi there Aqua Man,

It is a very popular miconception that airstone and a pump will oxygenate the water, it isnt the air pump and bubbles that do this but the diturbance the bubbles create on the surface of the water,

so aslong as the out let of your filter is disturbing the waters surface you will have oxygen in the water,

so for now i would say you dont need it.

hth

whacky

Hi Aquaman
You don't need an air pump and diffuser to add oxygen to water. Gases exchange at the surface. All bubblers do is take bottom water to the top. Your Fluval will do the same. Set it so the outlet is just at or below the surface.
Live plants do add oxygen during the day but not at night. To succesfully grow plants you'll need lots of lamp power; at least two tubes of tank length, for 8-10 hours daily. it also works better if you have LOTS of plants. I would say around 30/sq.ft. of tank base!

Most reactions

Back