aggressivness in bettas

if you could breed aggressivness out of bettas, would you?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No. It's part of who they are. :dunno: Plus, they'd lose their mystique and breeding them wouldn't be that great of an achievement because it'd be so much easier.

I agree. An unagressive betta isn't for me :no: Agressiveness is what makes them unique, IMHO ;)

I have to agree with most people here.
To breed out aggressiveness would not be right, it is part of this fish and what makes it so interesting to watch. They are beautiful fish when they flare so no flaring would be a disaster. Besides there are too many fish out there that have been messed about with one way or the other in both tropical and cold water. I am sure that by trying to breed out aggressivness you will just breed in something else that is worse such as a genetic disorder.
People should really leave these creatures alone and leave them as mother nature intended.
Sorry, just my opinion coming out about this matter.
Kaz

I have to go with everyone else on this one. I certainly wouldn't.... I think that their agressive tendencies are what make them so lovable... I also think it is neat that I have a fish that thinks he could beat me up! :flex: Their agressiveness is their personality and a good portion of their appeal. Also I just do not think they would interact with people the way they do if they got along well with other fish.

I also would not want to eliminate aggression in bettas, but 4 people have so far voted yes - I'd like to hear from them! What are your reasons? I just don't really see any. :dunno:

Who would want to own a Siamese Floating Fish? :blink:

i said no... its cooler to see them attack everything :D..

it would be nice if theyd breed like guppies or convicts tho :(

Who would want to own a Siamese Floating Fish?

:lol: I agree. Part of the magnificent betta is their tempers. :hey: Personally,I love it when they flare,I think it keeps them active and healthier. If they just floated there,what would life be like? ;)

i posted this poll at work (lunchtime) today on a whim and ran out of time before i could say anything ;)

the topic of bettas sharing aquarium space with other fish always comes up and i can see some people wishing their bettas were a little more timid...
but... like almost all of you, i of course agree as well that bettas are bettas, it's in their nature to flair at you and other fish in their vicinity and jump out at your finger when you feed them by hand. personally, i wouldn't have it any other way ;) some of my plakats are tough little ***$%@ and i love that about them.

do you think though, that eventually, all the inbreeding that goes on with "show quality" bettas might water down the gene pool and acheive this "neutering" anyways? i realize that inbreeding is necessary in establishing lineage but i have also seen more than a few purebred fish that are for sure weaker and more docile because of it. i guess it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing.
this is all curious speculation on my part, an interesting topic to discuss, seeing as more than a few of us have done some breeding or plan to breed at some point. ;)

If you don't want the aggression, then get a different fish. :lol:

Love my bettas! :D

OK....I voted yes but only because if I could I would love to have a large tank full of bettas.....but if no flaring :(

I only have three but they are sooooo much more facinating than the fish in my community tank.

Most reactions

Back