Aggressive Female

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

geezer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all, I've had my black sailfin molly for around six months and it's one of my favourite fish. She was good friends with two other sailfin mollies but they passed away.

When she got maximum size she was a bit of a bully towards everyone, I didn't want to add anymore sailfins because i was a little overstocked.

finally i upgraded to 95 gallon from 55 gallon. and put the two other sailfin mollies from the 25 gallon into the 95 gallon. Because they're small she just chases the male and female away (their both gold ones)

Yesterday I decided to buy another male sailfin, this time a black one, and it's around about the same size as the female! but she chases him off as well :sad:

She's not really agressive as she was since the tank size went up, but i'd love her to get on with the other mollies. any ideas?

The other 3 mollies look happy together. but it always seems the two females are in charge of things lol

Are you sure it's female? All the aggresive mollies I've run into were male. I found that males don't get along with each other, but females usually get along. Remove the males and leave her with females for a while. I've found that mollies are picky and very nippy towards others when there are different genders around. It might just be since she's so big, she thinks she's entitled to more territory! :lol: If she's bullying to the point that the other fish is getting injured, wait until the smaller fish grows up. When they are approx. the same size, the bullying should stop. Also try rearranging your tank so the fish set up new territories.

definitely female, i had her with two other females before as well but had to take one back because of dropsy (they sold me one with it)

but she was just the same

here is a video of her in the previous tank!

female molly

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back