After Some Medical Advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey Guys

No idea where to post this but here goes...

Ever since I was 15 I have suffered from the unusal symptons of constantly feeling lightheaded after becoming drunk. If 'have 1 to many!' then for 3-4 days after I am constantly lightheaded.

I know the simple answer is don't drink but as you know it's not always that easy when out with friends etc.

I've tried many different approaches; eating loads, eating little, drinking loads, drinking coffee, drinking alcohol, sleeping loads, taking paracetmol but nothing seems to work. It goes after 3-4 days by itself but is frustrating when it occurs. Being constantly lightheaded and faint isn't pleasant. I have seen my doctor about this and he just said I had an adverse reaction to alcohol and suggested I maybe try and find one drink that doesn't affect me.. I have to no avail.

I am 19, in full health, normal build etc.

Just thought I would post and see if anyone else has ever heard of anything similar.

Thanks very much

TIM

I would be very careful taking medical advice from t'internet in fact with the possible exception of Steelhealr I don't think I'd trust anyone on here :p

Having said that, it sounds a bit blood presure related, perhaps booking in to get that tested at the doctors then getting wasted the night before so you are suffering from the symptoms at the time would help :dunno: AT least then they could test you at the time you are suffering.

But if you get a pain when you poke yourself in the eye, generally you'll stop poking yourself in the eye, not look for a way to poke yourself in the eye without the pain ;)

Stop drinking! you have a car so you will find yourself VERY popular :lol: and the best bit is, the driver doesn't pay for his drinks/kebabs, trust me, I've been chauferring drunks around for over 17 years :rolleyes:

Arfie

LOL! I've tried the blood pressure trick. When I did go to the doctors I was suffering from being light-headed. He tested my blood pressure and everything was fine... very strange.

To be fair I don't drink much, it's only really once or twice every couple of months that I will drink too much. It's just frustrating that I get this though :(

That must be a horrible affliction to have, especially at your age.(cringe!! Sorry, that sounded really condescending, sorry sorry :blush: )
Just a thought, I don't want to make you mistrust your doctor or anything, but are you able to get a second opinion? I take anything my doctor says with a pinch of salt, when I was 13 I had whooping cough, and he misdiagnosed it as asthma, and he didn't consider that my dad's chronic back pain might be cancer for months.
So now if I have to see that particular doctor, I always make sure I can get a second opinion ASAP.

I know the simple answer is don't drink but as you know it's not always that easy when out with friends etc.

oh yes it is.
I've been teatotal for over 3 years now, far harder to give up sex for that long :good:

i'm awful for letting myself dehydrate cos i'm very picky about what water i'll drink and when i do i feel dizzy and lightheaded. alcohol dehydrates you and some people get it worse than others. you should intersperse plenty of water when you'r drinking, every other drink should be a glass of water. also when you come in from a night out drink a pint of orange juice before bed, it helps your liver function.

As above.....both food and drink (water) WILL have a great bearing on health, more so after booze

Do you eat well/ drink 3ltr water ED?

Don't stop drinking. Always stops me getting a hang over, could work here.

Edit

Do you ... drink 3ltr water ED?

I'm sorry, I have to bite here.

The drinking 2 or 3 litres of water every day is a classic misunderstanding of science. It was found the body needed to take in 2 litres of water every day, but a large amount of this can come from food, meaning it is not at all necessary to force 2 litres of water down your neck no matter how you feel.

The body has an extremely good response system, once you start to need water, your body feels thirsty.

BBC did an experiment where one twin just drank when thirsty, the other forced the extra water down her no matter how she felt, so long as she hit the required amount. Apart from the latter going to the toilet more there was no difference between the two after testing skin, hair and blood samples.

ha ha my dad's motto is 'never run the risk of sobering up' :D

I still say just don't drink. I can survive without alcohol so don't see why you can't. A cola when going out with friends is just as nice as a beer.
Just wondering however, have you ever had your liver tested? I know a friend of mine has a bad liver and has some bad side effects to drinking which are probably related to that.

And I know, should have told you when you first asked me and told me about your probably, but I didn't think of it untill now! Bad me, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back