African dwarf frogs

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Jebus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i just got 2 adfs in my tank, and most of the time they eat up the flakes left over from the tetras. But i was wondering if there are any foods that are made just for them? like do they like anything in particular? thanks

when i had mine i fed it cooked or raw shrimp from the grocery store. i just cut small piece off, put it on a stick, stuck it in there and he came over and ripped it off.

African Dwarf Frogs are not scavengers so don't rely on them eating what is "leftover" from your other fish. They will eat most any sinking food, mine eat shrimp pellets, frozen bloodworm (their favorite), frozen mysis shrimp, flakes that make it to the bottom, and tropical fish pellets (Bio Blend by Marineland). As a treat (mostly when I feel like dealing with stinky live foods) they get live blackworms as well. Mine obviously are not picky, but then most of them are not anyhow.

\Dan

the bloodworms i have jsut stay at the top, and the frogs never go to the surface to eat

What kind of bloodworms? Freeze dried? My ADFs have no problem coming to the surface for food. If you are using freeze dried, try frozen or something else that sinks.

\Dan

my ADF wont eat anything, I am gonna try the live blackworms. He's so small
I tried chopped up live earthworms and he didn;t touch em I have shrimp somewhere, i'll try that.

ANy other suggestions?

How do you feed them? ADFs have bad eyesight, so they may not be seeing the food (though they have great senses of smell). When I first got my ADFs I had to feed in the same place all the time before they realized they were getting food. I used a washed out baby food jar turned on it's side. I put water food I was feeding in the jar in the tank, and the frogs learned were to go to get their meal. Now I can just drop food in the general area (no jar) and they come to get it. They also search for food that has floated away from their area, and go to the surface or clear to the other side of the tank.

Another thing that just occured to me is that if your frogs don't come to the surface for food, they may not like making the effort. If you have a high tank, that is usually not a good choice for ADFs as they need to surface for air. Mine are in a 20 gallon long so it is a short tank. This may make a difference. :dunno:

\Dan

Most reactions

Back