CKutz
Fishaholic
Hi guys. I just picked up a penguin 350 for $25 off craigslist. i'm pretty sure the guy was selling it because he is moving to hawaii in a few weeks. it does seem to run fine (filled a bucket in my sink and tested it). This is for my 30 gal tank. I figure it's a bit overkill, but you can never have too much filtration, especially with HOB filters since their design isn't the best.
Now what should i do with the thing? He had two filter pads still in it..but i'm not sure how recently they left water, there was still some water in it, they were damp, but definitely out of water for about 4 hrs now. I kinda figure it's too risky to use them again anyways. but what about the biowheels?
and also there is quite a bit of calcium buildup and green spot algae on the filter. so what is the best way to clean this off and without risking getting a chemical in my tank.
about sand and hob filters. I'm wondering if this isn't a futile effort because the reason i'm replacing my filter is that it started making this awful groaning/grinding noise. I bought a new impeller for it and it was ok for a few days, then it started again. So i figured, screw it, i'm buying a new one. then i found this thing used, but way more filtration and much cheaper than what i would have paid for an equivalent to my current one.
I can't really figure out what is going on though..but I've had 2 10 gal. filters running on the tank also (used them till i got a new impeller, and just left them on) and now one of them is starting to make this noise also. so i'm wondering if HOB filters just aren't any good for sand. Although this penguin one appears to have the plastic impeller separated by plastic from the magnet part so maybe sand won't get in there as easily.
Also wondering what type of media would be best in this filter, just the pads or balls or sponge like this that i have left over from a sponge filter i made.
thanks
Now what should i do with the thing? He had two filter pads still in it..but i'm not sure how recently they left water, there was still some water in it, they were damp, but definitely out of water for about 4 hrs now. I kinda figure it's too risky to use them again anyways. but what about the biowheels?
and also there is quite a bit of calcium buildup and green spot algae on the filter. so what is the best way to clean this off and without risking getting a chemical in my tank.
about sand and hob filters. I'm wondering if this isn't a futile effort because the reason i'm replacing my filter is that it started making this awful groaning/grinding noise. I bought a new impeller for it and it was ok for a few days, then it started again. So i figured, screw it, i'm buying a new one. then i found this thing used, but way more filtration and much cheaper than what i would have paid for an equivalent to my current one.
I can't really figure out what is going on though..but I've had 2 10 gal. filters running on the tank also (used them till i got a new impeller, and just left them on) and now one of them is starting to make this noise also. so i'm wondering if HOB filters just aren't any good for sand. Although this penguin one appears to have the plastic impeller separated by plastic from the magnet part so maybe sand won't get in there as easily.
Also wondering what type of media would be best in this filter, just the pads or balls or sponge like this that i have left over from a sponge filter i made.
thanks







