Advice needed on re arranging rocks and substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Big water changes are certainly the way to go.

What problems do you have with restarting the filters? HOB filters are super easy to get going again..... just fill with tank water before turning them back on and they start right up.

When I do my water changes, I do 75% no matter how low my nitrate readings are. I simply turn the power strip and that turns everything off except for the light that is purposelessly on another strip before I drain water.

To go back to what this topic was originally about. I think that 3 - 5 Dempsey sized cichlids is asking for trouble. 2 can work and 3 would be pushing it hard because of territorial issues and bio load.

You can still get your 3 - 5 cichlids in the 75, but they would have to be smaller guys.

The rocks should go, they look very nice, but don't do much as far as cover goes for cichlids. It also takes up a ton of swimming room. It would be great for a community type of set up like what you had going on in picture 1.
What do you think is better cover for cichlids? I was considering getting rid of most of the rock and adding another piece of driftwood while also turning the existing driftwood on its side to make a little more hiding spots. Probably will go with only 2 to 3 cichlids. Thinking a dempsey, convict and a firemouth or salvini

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Lol well any topic where you learn something is never a bad thing. Also that is one thing I have never understood about fishkeeping. Very few have an open mind. Most find one way that works for them and call it the "right" way. In reality there are many "right" ways. I would definitely caution against taking advice blindly from anyone. Especially one who seems to think they know all there is to know. Funny how we as a people do that. Yet we don't even know whats in our own ocean or if dinosaurs had feathers. All the research and many many millions of dollars. Still don't know anything. Yet we love to believe we do. My advice about life in general. Question everything. Those who assume there is nothing left to learn and do stop trying to learn or accept new ideas are what hold progress back in any aspect of life.
Good point!! But I positively know that dinosaurs had feathers!! [emoji1][emoji1]

For the OP, you can use ceramic flower pots or pvc pipe as caves for cichlids.

-----------------------
Off topic I would like to comment on a couple of things.

Water never EVER gets changed in nature.
Rain water flushes out rivers, creeks and streams and replaces it with fresh water.

It's a impossible to change 70+% of your water and replace it with exactly the same water.
It's not impossible. I use to make my water up a week before I used it. The pH, GH, KH and temperature were the same as the tank. The only difference between the new water and the tank water, was the tank water had unwanted disease organisms, hormones from fish, proteins from fish food, and nitrates from the filtration cycle. The new water did not have any of these things.

Now add that people boat and jetski and do all sorts of things that introduce pollution at high and unnatural levels. How do fish still thrive in these waters
Fish don't thrive in these waters. I have been monitoring fresh and salt water fishes and other aquatic life in my area since the 1970s and there has been a significant decline in populations and biodiversity.

Fish live in the cooling ponds at Chernobyl
Surveys of Chernobyl, including the lakes, have shown a drop in the numbers of life forms. The number of birds, fish and animals in the area has reduced significantly and it's not from humans hunting or eating them. Nobody goes there except for scientists and soldiers, all of which wear radiation badges to monitor their exposure. The animals and fish are dying younger and many have cancers and diseases associated with old age. Birds, fish and animals that use to live for 5-10 years are now dying at 2-3 years of age. Many animals are not reaching sexual maturity.

Chernobyl is a mess and a good example of why nuclear power and weapons are not a good idea.

--------------------------
If this off topic conversation is to continue, it should be moved to a new thread. If one of the moderators wants to do that it would allow this discussion to continue without interfering with the OP's thread. :)

Hahaha you went to great lengths there. This forum seems to be the "come ask this guy he has all the answers" fish forum. Hahaha. I said live never said thrive who argues the health of animals near Chernobyl. You are truly and odd duck. Hahaha. I just read he end hahaha. Your nuclear war stance was inspired hahaha.

Finally made some progress and got the tank rearranged
c000ee0b5656e025bb24c1c73e4a1eba.jpg

Looking good. What if you turned that driftwood upside down? I like the look of it now, but it might make a nice cave the other way around.

Looking good. What if you turned that driftwood upside down? I like the look of it now, but it might make a nice cave the other way around.
I actually tried that but i would want the stump part all the way to the surface and it just didnt work well. Anyway a couple of the branches are pretty thin and not sure they woukd support it for long.

Ok here is the final final re do.... For now... Turned that large piece on the left upsode down and definitely love it.. Much more aesthetic..
2de95940d6ab31fe11135459d501d2c7.jpg

I have one suggestion. Take some smaller pebbles (smaller than most of what you have here, more varying in size than all smaller, if that makes sense) and extend the rockwork to the sides of the aquarium. This is a visual thing, it will make the tank look larger and the "rectangular-ness" will not be so obvious. Presently the display, which is indeed very lovely, is "centred" very obviously, so you want to create the impression that this is just one part of a much larger panorama. A few pebbles of smaller but varying sizes scattered to the sides should achieve this. Just don't go for "balance" but more irregularity.

I have one suggestion. Take some smaller pebbles (smaller than most of what you have here, more varying in size than all smaller, if that makes sense) and extend the rockwork to the sides of the aquarium. This is a visual thing, it will make the tank look larger and the "rectangular-ness" will not be so obvious. Presently the display, which is indeed very lovely, is "centred" very obviously, so you want to create the impression that this is just one part of a much larger panorama. A few pebbles of smaller but varying sizes scattered to the sides should achieve this. Just don't go for "balance" but more irregularity.
That makes sense, ill give it a try.. Thanks!!

Most reactions

trending

Back