Advice: Live Food For Cichlids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JT-SCFC-1912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anybody purchased any live food (crickets, mealworms) and fed them to their cichlids, mainly want these for my Oscars, has anybody fed their Oscars or any other cichlids stuff like this.

I've done some reading up on this, and apparently it's really good for cichlids to eat stuff like this.

Couple of weeks ago, I saw some crickets in P@H and they were all dead, now maybe a stupid question but will it harm my Oscars if I feed them dead crickets etc.

I've fed them crickets before, as part of a well rounded diet it's perfectly acceptable. :) Dead crickets... I would not do unless they are freeze dried and prepared for fish. Otherwise they start to decompose after a while and that would not be good. Mealworms have a harder to digest exoskeleton so... I would not feed them to an Oscar under 6"

I've fed my oscars live crickets, earth worms, mealworms, and baby guppies, endlers and platys that I bred myself. It's all stuff that they would eat in the wild. My oscars showed little interest in dead crickets, they prefered food that moved, to the point where they completely ignored pellets.

I buy whitebait and fish off-cuts from my local fish monger and earthworms from the local fishing tackle shop, both are cheap and healthy in small amounts,  Avoid maggots and dead insects unless they have been bought frozen or freeze dried though.

they also like prawn and crabsticks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back