Advice Getting Bigger Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hives

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
lo peeps, bassicly im now running a 10g tank.. but im wanting to upgrade tomorow to a 20g. My current 10g has a

50 watt heater
Hydor K10 filter (internal)
Fluval 1 (internal)
Air pump + Stone (plus undergravel filter)
Delux Hood with 15watt strip light

bassicly im wanting to know which stuff im going to have to get for my new 20g, will i have to buy a new heater? also will my current filter system be sufficient? im going to use my current lighting for the 20g and buy the new lid... Ive only just got my 10g and its cost me alot becuase i wanted the best lid/light and 2 good filters, now i want a bigger tank and want to spend as little as i can and use as much of my old 10g equipment as i can as i will only be housing 15 or so small fish in the 20g. Any advice you guys can offer would be much appreciated, thanks

The hydor filter sounds fine then and the heater should be ok too.
Is this the filter,
[Ignore external fitler didn't notice.
url=http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z033057.asp#product244]http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z033057.asp#product244[/url]

Your heater should just about be fine. Check out this table for some more info.

Your 2 filters together should do the job absolutely fine.

Your lighting levels will be very low at less than 1 Watt per gallon-but this only really matters when you introduce live plants. If and when you have some money later, you can always buy an extra light starter unit and tube and add your own light.
Or if you have a few ££'s to spare now, get a reflector (around £5 for a 15 watt) to clip onto your existing light - that should make quite some difference already.

Apart from that you should be fine !

It looked the smallest of the lot so thought it was the same as the fluval one, as i could find how many gallons it did, that fine then, good luck.

nice one guys, so bassicly for now its just the reflector and tank i need, thats good becuase i was thinking my heater wouldnt be suffiecient so it isnt turning out to bad, im going to have to get rid of all my fish if i want to change tank it seems :( oh well ill take them back to the petshop, anyone want a free 10g tank? gimme me a bell if you do, thanks alot your advice peeps

Keep your 10 gallon ! Use it for quarantine or hospital. You can always whip out your Fluval 1 and stick it in there if and when needed.

Why do you have to get rid of our fish though ??

Keep your 10 gallon ! Use it for quarantine or hospital. You can always whip out your Fluval 1 and stick it in there if and when needed.

Why do you have to get rid of our fish though ??

well i was under the impression id have to start the cycle over again? as im replacing the tank and all?

Just transfer eveything over to the 20gal the filters and gravel, plants etc, and add some new gravel, but put the 10gal gravel on the bottom first then add the new gravel.

How are the fish you have at the moment though, as is the tank fully cycled with the current filters, as it would make sense to make sure the 10g is filtered before getting a 20g. But instead of getting a 20g, i'd get a 30 - 50g, as 10g isnt that much bigger than what you have, and if your wanting more choice of fish it makes sense.

How are the fish you have at the moment though, as is the tank fully cycled with the current filters, as it would make sense to make sure the 10g is filtered before getting a 20g. But instead of getting a 20g, i'd get a 30 - 50g, as 10g isnt that much bigger than what you have, and if your wanting more choice of fish it makes sense.

thing is, i have a big wooden cabinet measuring exacly 3foot, the only space i really have as i only have 1 room to play with... i thought the 3foot tanks looked much bigger then the 1.5 hense why im changing tomorow, im new to this and going bigger than a 20g is not what i want to do at all becuase then i will definitly have to change equiptment. so im defintily sticking to a 20g as to your guys might seem small but for me used to a 10g its quite a big jump, thanks

A 20 gallon is a nice size and if that's what suits your current needs and budget, then that's perfect :)

Good luck !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back